Manta Board towable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kenzo

New
Reaction score
Hey there, first post here so hello to all.

I'm looking for info on a specific piece of equipment. It's not technically SCUBA related, I know, but this has to be one of the best places to pose a question about it.

I've seen pictures and even a video a few years ago of a guy snorkeling and being towed behind a slow moving dingy while hanging on to what has been referred to as a "Manta Board". I saw someone selling something of this nature at a boat show a few years ago and would really like to purchase one, only problem is I now can't find any info on the guy selling it or on any products like it.

At this point I'm not too far from just making one myself.

Anybody know anything about these?

manta-tow-230.jpg

"Manta Boards" are just plywood boards with handholds, tow-rope attachment points and clips for holding a slate. They are used for taking marine life surveys.

"manta tow technique - a technique used to provide a general description of large areas of reef and to gauge broad changes in abundance and distribution of organisms on coral reefs. The technique, widely used in Australia, involves towing a snorkel diver (observer) at a constant speed behind a boat. The observer holds on to a ‘manta board’ attached to a small boat by a 17-meter length of rope. This person makes a visual assessment of specific variables during each manta tow (2 minutes duration), and records these data when the boat stops, on a data sheet attached to the manta board. The manta tow technique is used to provide a general description of large areas of reef and to gauge broad changes in abundance and distribution of organisms on coral reefs. The advantage of manta tow over other survey techniques is that it enables large areas of reefs to be surveyed quickly and with minimal equipment"

Use marine grade plywood and paint the heck out of it.

I've used them, absolutly amazing!!! You feel like aqua man, you are using no energy to swim so you can hold your breath when you dive for minutes, feels like 5 sometimes, flying along, very sublime!!!. Available at Bass Proshops around 80.00 bucks and other big scuba shops, usually around 80.00 bucks, and the fun,...priceless!!!!. I have a friend who built his own from a cutting board. Werks great!!
Stay thirsty my friends!! T out

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom