Manila Hyperbaric Chambers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stvbrit

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
For the information of all concerned divers here in the Philippines it has come to my attention that St. Lukes Medical center and Makati Med have onsite hyperbaric chambers, I have yet to verify the facility at Makati Med yet, Anyone that can confirm?

St. Luke's Medical Center: Premiere Hospital | Expert Medical Care

St. Lukes Medical Center, Quezon City (632) 723-0101/0301 ext 4186

Makati Med and St Lukes have hyperbaric chambers, but their chamber is a different kind and is not the one that should be used for Diving related incidents. their chambers are more used for stroke patients and etc. you can only stay inside the makati med and st lukes chambers for only up to two hours because you are constantly breathing 100% oxygen. here is a picture of the one in makati med when i went in it.
40519_424379708366_681063366_5078844_5729556_n.jpg

now with that being said, the chamber that Divers want is the one in AFP Medical Center or also known as "V. Luna".The chamber there is the one used to treat divers suffering from certain diving disorders such as decompression sickness. Treatment is ordered by the treating physician (medical diving officer), and is usually in accordance with the U.S. Navy Diving Manual (U.S Navy Diving Tables). More often than not they use the U.S. Navy Table 6 --- This diving table consists of compression to the depth of 60 feet seawater with the patient on oxygen. The diver is later decompressed to 30 feet on oxygen, then slowly pushed to surface pressure. This table typically takes 4 hours 45 minutes. It may be extended further. It is the most common treatment for type 2 decompression illness, but nowadays also used for type 1 dcs. here are some pictures of the chamber in AFPMC V. LUNA which i also went to.
39252_424379773366_681063366_5078849_2204795_naaa.jpg
39252_424379758366_681063366_5078846_94993_n.jpg
39252_424379788366_681063366_5078852_4675266_n.jpg

you can cantact Dr. Jose R. Bernardo (Diving Medical Officer - Hyperbaric Medicine) AFPMC V. Luna Road, Quezon City, Philippines

Tel. No.: (632) 426-2701 ext. 6245
Direct Lin: (632) 668-5177
Mobile: 0919-347-1773

hth :wink:

The posted pictures from the type of chamber that Makati Med and St. Lukes has are called "monoplace" chambers. They are designed to have one person in them and most of the better ones are made out of an Acrylic tube. The bigger the diameter the better. Why, because you can actually fit two people in them if you have to and the patient feels less claustrophobic. You can run a treatment table 6 (which is what is used for divers that have DCS) which is roughly 4.75 hours long. Patients can get their air breaks with a mask to prevent O2 toxicity which the was alluded to. I have treated patients for 4 hours in a monoplace because of CO poisoning. The question would be if they are prepared to treat divers at these facilities. Divers that have DCS issues are very different that the normal patients St. Lukes and Makati Med will have.

The main advantage of the V.Luna chamber is it has two locks (sections) If a patient has a probelm you can send medical help down to pressure without having to bring the patient back to sea level. This is a very important feature for treating divers with AGE (Arterial Gas Embolisms). It could also treat more than one patient. They also have the most experience in the Metro Manila area because they have been doing it for a while.

Monoplace chambers are becoming more popular here in the US because of the available patients that need to be treated for other medical conditions that are not diving related. Divers are at an advantage as these chambers become more common. Monoplace Chambers are also less expensive, easier to maintain, and easier to operate.

Jim

Last edited:
here is a picture of the one in makati med when i went in it.

here are some pictures of the chamber in AFPMC V. LUNA which i also went to.

hth :wink:

Seems like you've been in a lot of chambers...:shocked2:

Are you Jag's regular buddy?:D

Anyone know what the plans are for the chamber in Subic Bay? That's been offline for a long while now :(

Seems like you've been in a lot of chambers...:shocked2:

Are you Jag's regular buddy?:D

haha no.. i just had one incident of dcs, but it was pretty severe so i had to undergo around 4 treatments of hyperbaric chamber :D

Anyone know what the plans are for the chamber in Subic Bay? That's been offline for a long while now :(

Andy, There are some very interested parties trying to revive the Subic Chamber as we speak, I will not mention names as yet but the people interested are very professional and have extensive military diving experience and know how to get this project up and running. I'm sure the pending appointment of new SBMA Chairman will have a bearing on the outcome, let's just cross our fingers and hope for the best to benefit the entire community here in beautiful Subic.

We've got baby whale sharks to please as well..................

Back
Top Bottom