Manifold Styles - Need HELP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drewski

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All:

I'm posting this here from more discussion, if the MODS want to move it I'll certainly understand.

I'm getting ready to purchase a new set of doubles (probably the 120 X7s by Worthington), and have been looking at manifolds lately. Please look closely at the following pictures:

va3000_300_2.jpg

2c08_3.jpg

Notice how the manifold on the top has the burst disk screws "recessed" and protected, while in the manifold below they are "exposed?" In the pictures, the top manifold is made by DiveRite while the bottom is OMS, but I don't think it matters because I've seen different versions of this from Thermo, DiveRite and OMS.

The "exposed" configuration wouldn't bother me too much in OW or even wreck, but for caves I've ground the HECK out of manifolds on limestone ceilings and I'd sure hate to have one of those screws start to leak (keep in mind I dive DIN, so no "yoke knob" to cover that area). From experience, even a small leak leads to rapid failure. I checked my older gear and both my old Dacor manifolds have the "recessed" style while my old "K" valves (USD, Dacor and Sherwood - I have 6 of them) are mixed.

Anyone diving caves with the "exposed" style? Problems? Thoughts?

Any help MUCH appreciated!

THANKS...

Drewski:
Hi All:

I'm posting this here from more discussion, if the MODS want to move it I'll certainly understand.

I'm getting ready to purchase a new set of doubles (probably the 120 X7s by Worthington), and have been looking at manifolds lately. Please look closely at the following pictures:

va3000_300_2.jpg

2c08_3.jpg

Notice how the manifold on the top has the burst disk screws "recessed" and protected, while in the manifold below they are "exposed?" In the pictures, the top manifold is made by DiveRite while the bottom is OMS, but I don't think it matters because I've seen different versions of this from Thermo, DiveRite and OMS.

The "exposed" configuration wouldn't bother me too much in OW or even wreck, but for caves I've ground the HECK out of manifolds on limestone ceilings and I'd sure hate to have one of those screws start to leak (keep in mind I dive DIN, so no "yoke knob" to cover that area). From experience, even a small leak leads to rapid failure. I checked my older gear and both my old Dacor manifolds have the "recessed" style while my old "K" valves (USD, Dacor and Sherwood - I have 6 of them) are mixed.

Anyone diving caves with the "exposed" style? Problems? Thoughts?

Any help MUCH appreciated!

THANKS...

Hi Drew. I think I would definately prefer the recessed burst disk design. I think all of the Thermo valves come with this type of burst disk configuration. Thanks.

Phil Ellis

I'm not a caver but I don't see why not having a recessed burst disc would be an issue. You'd have to seriously contort yourself to hit the burst disc on the ceiling. Think of the angle of the manifold, tanks, and DIN valves vs the ceiling.
...the other option is to not hit the ceiling. :D :wink:

One other consideration is that the dive rite style has 2 o-rings buried in the vave and making contact with a tube. The OMS style is just a face to face contact and may be more prone to failure. Although I don't know of one that has failed it does seem that way to me.

Personally I like the top one. Two trapped o-rings on each side rather than one gasket on a metal face. Never seen it fail but I guess I would compare it to din or yolk valve. The trapped o-ring in a din valve is more secure

wedivebc:
One other consideration is that the dive rite style has 2 o-rings buried in the vave and making contact with a tube. The OMS style is just a face to face contact and may be more prone to failure. Although I don't know of one that has failed it does seem that way to me.
Didn't realize it was that OMS manifold. wedivebc definitely has good advice.

I have three seaElite and one H manifold (also made by same factory as SeaElite).. all have normal burst disks. Never had an issue. Of course I stay off the ceiling ...:wink:

As said before, look at the isolating barrel connections with the valves. I personally like the double o-rings. Never used a face connection though.

Go with the SeaElite one I would say

I have a Dive-Rite 300bar DIN manifold & valves, the burst discs are exposed.
Since I bought this (4 years ago), they have been discontinued and then re-intoduced. Perhaps their design changed.
I also have a Thermo, they are recessed.

Hi Guys:

Thanks for the responses. I'm thinking that I'll go with the Thermo Valve model, although the DiveRite looks good too.

SparticleBrane, I know what you're saying but when I originally looked at my old manifolds and saw how tore up they were (figuratively speaking) from about 100 cave dives, I started thinking about it. I think most contact came from backing out and maneuvering. Admittedly, there is also a buoyancy learning curve with caving and then another one with a dry suit AND running the reel. I'm a clumsy guy too, so contact comes natural to me... :wink:

Anyway, again THANKS for the help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom