Review DiveRite BX2.5 review.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveClimbRide

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As you may know diverite's bx2 has been available for quite a while now and diverite appears to have upgraded some parts of the torch.
New torch on left, old torch on right.
IMG_20210807_175535.jpg

First the packaging. The torch now comes in a nice clamshell case with a zipper instead of a square box. Included is spare orings, battery and micro USB charging cable. The battery is one of the ones where you plug the battery in to charge and a small light on the opposite side will change from red to green when it's done. It's slightly longer than a normal 18650 and marginally thicker as well. There's a very soft pop when you slide it out of the torch.

IMG_20210807_180337.jpg

The logo is now bigger and in an indent on the handle. On and off positions have been marked on the light head 180° from each other. The tail cap has also been changed to very similar to the cx2 with slots on the perimeter as well as an attachment hole in the center.

IMG_20210807_175354.jpg

Now for internals. The new torch has a marginally smaller (diameter) battery compartment. (Not enough to make a difference) and a different spring. The batteries are different as explained above and the light head now has a small ring surrounding the positive terminal. This now means that you CANNOT use a flat top 18650 with your new bx2.

IMG_20210807_175621.jpg

The beam colour and angle are still identical. (that's an orange wall by the way so pay no attention to the colour)

Now into the feel. The light head is MUCH easier to screw on now. You can do it one handed even. There is also more play in the head when screwed in. Ie if you push on the light head there is about a 100° range from the on mark where the light will turn on. This is compared to the old bx2 which is very firm to screw on and has a range of only about 10°.

So today I took this torch on a dive to test it out. Before the dive I checked it was charged, working and aligned with the off position. However when I tried to turn it on underwater nothing happened. (and no I didn't turn it the wrong way, it bottomed out) An hour later I opened it on the surface and some water spilled out. A quick wash with fresh water and a short dry out and it was working again. So why did it flood? I have no idea. Orings were brand new, no debris, correct amount of lube, torch in reccomended position and still it leaked. Perhaps it is to do with the new threads? That is the only thing that has changed.

On my other bx2 my practise is to turn it off a quarter turn. On this one I turned it off a half turn (because that is where the off marking is) could that be something to do with it, I don't know.

Attachments

• IMG_20210807_175214.jpg
    IMG_20210807_175214.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 97
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom