Manifold question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMS manifold valve knobs are manufactured from medium durometer plastic to prevent wedging and accidental turning should the manifold come in contact with the overhead environment .

I'm not cave trained myself, but as I understand it cave diving protocols include regularly checking that your valves are fully open (particularly after narrow restrictions) and regularly testing the backup regulator is functioning.

300 bar DIN on stages in an unnecessary PITA. Most of my stage regs are 300 bar too but since you change them far more often than doubles and they are more likely to get taken on or off at the water edge or in the water it is slightly easier to have 200. For manifolds 300 bar is less of a big deal and arguably provides some added protection if you smash your regs into the ceiling while on a scooter. The reason being that the weaker point is the connection and since almost all DIN regs use 300 bar threads it is fully covered when in a 300 bar valve while there is more of a flex point with a 200. I have never seen one sheer off but I have seen it get jarred enough to cause the internal o-ring (which varies slighly by manufacturer) that holds the DIN connector in place to leak. This is slighly less likely in a 300 bar valve.

There may be better reasons than this but I don't remember them.

Chuck at gulftex makes some stainless inserts that you can thread into your tanks for transport that both prevents gas loss and bending the valves. You have to carry a wrench with you to take them off if any gas gets trapped since they are o-ring sealed but it is nice peace of mind particularly when transporting high HE mixes.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom