Manifold question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:D :D
I'll buy one in a few days...
There is occasionally one at school but sometimes it disappears. Haven't seen it in awhile, in fact.

300 bar is much more susceptible to damage. If the valve bumps anything very hard the opening can get out of round and you won't be able to install the male part of the DIN anymore. 200 bar has less metal sticking out and tolerates slight irregularities much better. I prefer 200 bar and will continue to avoid 300bar unless there's a killer deal on one or something like that. The "intanglement" issue of having 2 threads showing between the handwheel and the valve body is really specious IMO.

if you agree with the dive rite express article just quietly buy 200 bar manifolds. nobody will vote you off the island for that.

I just looked through my emails from my DIR-F instructor, and he did not mention the entanglement issue. I must have just been making that part up, sorry.

He just said the bigger the dive, the more likely to be getting a fill in the 3600-3800psi range, and with those pressures, the extra threads will not hurt. His exact words were "That's my suggestion; others may see it a different way ;-)"

Tom

PS, I had the same question, and I'm just representing his response, I don't say anyone else is wrong. I really don't think it would possible affect my diving either way.

I would doubt that a GUE instructor would allow to you take the class with the plastic knobs, but it is always a good idea to discuss gear choices with your instructor or potential instructor.

I took fundies with plastic knobs. Still have them, but rarely dive those doubles anymore. (got me some new hundies that I really like :D) If any of you have some extra rubber knobs, however, you could send them my way.:14:

As far as the manifold, I think that the OMS manifold is a captured o-ring rather than a barrel style. I think this is more of a problem than the 200 bar vs. 300 bar. I'm sure someone who knows more than I will chime in though and clarify.

NESS has a used Thermo 200 bar for $160 and I just read the other day about someone having a sale on Halcyon 300 bar manifolds for $199. I can't remember where though. Anyone else know?

Hunter

The "intanglement" issue of having 2 threads showing between the handwheel and the valve body is really specious IMO.

Since entanglement was never mentioned in the original JJ/GIII reasoning for 300 over 200, then I would sense that the powers that be would agree with you.

I just looked through my emails from my DIR-F instructor, and he did not mention the entanglement issue. I must have just been making that part up, sorry.

He just said the bigger the dive, the more likely to be getting a fill in the 3600-3800psi range, and with those pressures, the extra threads will not hurt. His exact words were "That's my suggestion; others may see it a different way ;-)"

Tom

PS, I had the same question, and I'm just representing his response, I don't say anyone else is wrong. I really don't think it would possible affect my diving either way.

I can't get into the Quest archives at the moment but I'll paraphrase to the best of my fractured memory the reason for 300 over 200. It had to do with bumping (smashing) into an overhead and the reg shearing off. With the 300 there are more threads to protect the reg from shearing off on the valve side.

I'm not sure I ever agreed with that since the weak point on a DIN reg is the thinner part that goes into the reg body, not the thick part that goes into the valve.

But whatever, it's not a big deal however most of my valves are 300 bar.

As far as the manifold, I think that the OMS manifold is a captured o-ring rather than a barrel style. I think this is more of a problem than the 200 bar vs. 300 bar. I'm sure someone who knows more than I will chime in though and clarify.

OMS has historically made both face sealing and barrel sealing manifolds. Face sealing is a pita, you want the barrel. They would have you believe their 3 oring design is vastly superior although its really unnecessary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom