Manatees - Crystal River Trip Pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got to go on an excursion this last weekend. I snorkeled with the manatees in Crystal River Florida. The manatees were all sleeping when we got there. You are not permitted to dive down to take pictures so I got lots of "grey potato" shots. When the manatees woke up they did not hang around long before heading to the river and away from the crowd. These guys are so ugly they're "cute" so I thought I'd share a few pics.

I also dove Blue Grotto, Devil's Den, and Manatee springs - pictures will follow when I get time.

mbabysmile.jpg

mandfish.jpg

mbest.jpg

My parents live 10 minutes away from Crystal River (in Dunnellon, FL)

which did you like better - blue grotto or devil's den?

nice pics, sea yoda!

did you use an operator and if yes, can you tell us which and your impressions? I'm thinking about doing it also at the end of march
Thanks

nice pics.

wardric:
did you use an operator and if yes, can you tell us which and your impressions? I'm thinking about doing it also at the end of march

might be on the late end... but you'll probably see a few

i love Birds Underwater. they go out early, have small boats, beat the cattle-boats,
and have good crew

yukoneer:
...which did you like better - blue grotto or devil's den?
Both are nice dives but Blue Grotto was a one tank trip for me. I'm glad I went to see it, but it got kind of boring for me. Devil's Den was my favorite. I went back a second day because we had a short dive on the first day. There is more to see and more fish (the catfish are huge!). I could see going back to Devil's Den in the future, I'm not sure I'd pay the fee to go back to Blue Grotto.

wardric:
did you use an operator and if yes, can you tell us which and your impressions? ...
We went with American Pro. They were nice and very helpful. We did the manatee dive in the morning then Blue Grotto and Devil's Den in the afternoon with them. I would suggest going on the manatee trip with them but I felt rushed on the two afternoon dives. I would do the two dives on my own if I had to do it over. I would also take a single morning dive for Blue Grotto, eat lunch, and then go to Devil's Den for the rest of the day and try to get two dives in. Blue Grotto and Devil's Den are very close to each other so no long drive between the two unless you go somewhere to eat lunch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom