Manatee Springs Pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WVDiver:
Very cool Yoda, I just got back form there the other day. I only have one picture posted of Manatee Springs. We were there early in the morning and the whole place was polluted with Black Vultures. Did you see any during your visit?

SeaYoda:
There were some on the road in and a few in the park - I wonder what was going on.

Maybe they knew something about that dive spot that you didn't?

If you've got a D70 for land use, then the SeaLife cameras are definately below that. I saw some D70 pics taken in the Bahamas and I was amazed by them. Of course that camera setup with housing, strobe, camera, etc cost more than my car.

Yeah, thats what I was noticing. I have priorities.

1)some sort of dwelling to place on the land in Freeport
2)hooking up utilities, water, sewer, etc (yet, I have no idea what this will cost)
3)a new(er) vehicle (thinking a later model jeep wrangler)
4)everything else

while I will have some money from the house sale, it wont be THAT much. It should get me through three, I hope. How much 1&2 costs, will determine how good of a #3 I will be able to afford. After that, like I said, living expenses, until I get some sort of employment.

Then, well, then, money will be spent with wreckless abandon. It is a benefit of being "young" and single. Other than the dog, I do not have many responsibilities. About the only thing that could ruin this carefree life, is to pick up a chick. Thank goodness I don't have that problem often :D

photohikedive:
Yeah, thats what I was noticing. I have priorities.
1)some sort of dwelling to place on the land in Freeport
If you want more money in your pocket, you might want to look into selling the land in Freeport and building in an area like Mossyhead. The price of land in Freeport has skyrocketed but Mossyhead hasn't caught up - YET.

Well, Yoda, I have a plan like that in the works. I have three lots. All buildable. I am thinking about putting a house on one. At which point, I could sell it, pay off whatever loan was left, and build on the other two. THEN I would see about buying further inland, away from the terrors of storm surges.

Last time I was visiting down there, I did look around Mossyhead. The main thing that would likely determine my final location, is work. I am used to a 15 minute commute here, and would hate to see that tripled. Of course, I still haven't decided what type of work to look for.

photohikedive:
... I am used to a 15 minute commute here, and would hate to see that tripled...
One day, when I move up to land I have up there, my commute will go from 20 minutes to an hour. I may have to change hospitals to work in. The new growth from the military shifting things around should change the whole area so I'm just going to wait and see.

I feel terrible, I have completely misdirected this thread. But, well, I am selfish, and gleaning knowledge from those in the know, has always been a favorite hobby of mine.

mike_s:
What type of affects of Military shifting is Eglin, etc expecting? more moving in or out?
There have been a lot of bases closed and they will be consolidating more of the force here.

photohikedive,
Don't worry, this was a rambling thread anyway. It started with a trip report that might have been put in the Florida Conch forum - squeezed in some pictures - talked about birds, and now housing and the military. I guess this is just a well rounded thread.

I dove manatee on 2/18/06. Its a pretty cool place... that duckweed in catfish is horrible though :)

Great practice hole and you can't beat the entrance fee. We didn't even see a catfish, but a giant turtle made an appearance.

I have a D70 for land use... the underwater housing is more than the camera itself. I would definately reccomend getting a cheaper one if you want to dunk it.

http://www.pbase.com/jarrett/the_photo_vault

-V

Back
Top Bottom