Manatee Springs Pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Manatee springs is located in Chiefland Florida. There are two springs on the property. There is the Main Spring and Catfish Hole (a sink hole). After looking at the two springs, we decided to dive Catfish Hole first. It was covered with Duckweed, it sure was an eery feeling getting in that much green soup. There is a dramatic drop-off just after entry. At the bottom the water does not seem to come out of the fissure, it may actually be flowing in. There is a spring at the other end of the hole that has a pretty good flow. It clears a hole in the Duckweed on the surface. The water was a little brown and full of particles from decaying plant material. We saw only small catfish and none of the large ones the hole is named after. We rinsed off the Duckweed, changed tanks, and headed to the Main Spring. The run from the Main Spring is full of green filamentous algae. The spring has a pretty good push coming out of the bottom of the basin - I swam against the flow with a moderate kick and it kept me stationary. I dropped down below the flow and behind a log to take some pictures of the local panfish. It was like a duck blind, my strobe above the log and me peeking out below. The fish there are pretty much the same as the Northwest Florida springs. At the end of the dive I had filled my memory cards with three days of pictures so I turned the camera off and headed up to explore the spring run. To my surprise a nice sized Bowfin swam by. I scrambled to get the camera and strobe turned back on and delete some blurry pictures to make room for a Bowfin shot. I had to keep one eye on the fish and one on the camera. I finally got prepared and the Bowfin lead me on a ten minute hide and seek chase through the algae. At one point he disappeared and I thought I'd lost him. I looked down at the camera and guess who was in the algae just below me? He was off again in a flash. I did manage two far away shots before I surrendered to his superior swimming skills.

ccathole.jpg

cmainsp.jpg

c3kitty.jpg

cpanmain1.jpg

cbowclose.jpg

More great pics, SY. Manatee Springs is still on my hit list, I figure the next time I visit central FL, I'll be swinging that way :)

SY! Nice pics and great report. Thanks for sharing! :wink:

Ed.

Hi yoda, I don't think we have spoke yet. I have been using your posts though, to get reaquainted with the area. I used to live in DeFuniack Srpings. In MA now, but should be down your way soon. Your photos are making me want to drop the money on a housing for my D70. You have some great work. When I get there, and when I get set up for some underwater work, I will definately need to talk to you about some shooting tips.

photohikedive:
... When I get there, and when I get set up for some underwater work, I will definately need to talk to you about some shooting tips.
How close are you going to be?

All dives are open - a bunch of us just state a place and, as many as can make it, do. We are frugal (spin doctor language for cheap) divers and take advantage of the economic (free) jetties and springs in NW Florida. I'm sure there is room for more. You don't even have to own a camera to play :D.

I will be very close. I have land in Freeport. I have family lives in DeFuniack Springs. Although, I do not have a place to live yet, or a job, and when I get there, I will be without a car. But, I will have a fistful of cash, which will solve most problems I am looking at. Just enough to get established at least. I tend to live a day at a time, so it won't be much of anything new. Frugal diving works is my kind of diving. Seems there is plenty of water to explore, without relying on a boat.

Very nice. I enjoy following your posts since I will be doing a roadtrip/divetrip this spring down there.

I plan to pick up something to shoot underwater with. While a housing for the D70 seems nice, it is also an expensive route. Not to mention, the horror if I was to have a leak. I use that camera to make some side money, I don't want to lose it. So, I was looking at alterntatives. One that looks pretty good is the Sealife DC500. Do you know anything about it? Do you have any other suggestions?

photohikedive:
...One that looks pretty good is the Sealife DC500. Do you know anything about it? Do you have any other suggestions?
I think mike_s and SuPrBuGmAn have experience with Sealife cameras. You might check Ebay for point and shoots like mine. Point and shoots like mine allow more manual control which is better for under water pictures. It just depends on what you want from your picture taking.

KidK9:
Very nice. I enjoy following your posts since I will be doing a roadtrip/divetrip this spring down there.
If you get up in the panhandle, my neck of the woods, give a shout to see if you can get a dive in with some of us local SBers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom