Manatee Springs 07/02 early/all day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DEEPSEAWOLF

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Self explanatory, unless you're Andy or Simon.
Andy- The party of the first part hereby invites the as of yet unknown parties of the second part to be included and/or invited to the hereby and aforementioned event hereinafter to be called "The Manatee Springs Dive Invitation."
Simon-Awright bloke,... clear water, scuba gear,... what's at? Yer mum's in town again? Bring 'er along! Oy! Were's the banner, mate?
Everyone else- We should be getting there near or just after park opening. Gibbon has two pumped steels, I'll only have a few AL's so I'll run out of air LONG before he will!

There was just something about this day that made the water seem so much cooler. I've been losing my natural insulation lately, and I know Gibbon is losing insulation, if he ever had any!! The first dive went great, although I was feeling a bit uncomfortable in the water. Still not sure why. The springs were loaded with swimmersas we stepped in about 10:30 am. The surface temp read about 73ish, but I don't have a spiffy comp like the Gib so I have to guess. The small freshwater flounder were everywhere! We also saw two HUGE red eared bream that followed us around for a bit. I only saw two schools of mullet, and no large bass this dive which was odd. There was a large crawfish which was about 7 inches long without the tail. I have to admit, I've never seen one that lage in a spring before! In nasty dark water yes, but not clear springs.
We finished up the dive in about thirty minutes, hitting only 30 fsw on my gauge. Holly and Aeo had been puttering around on the surface. Her back is still recovering from the sunburn and the weight of a bc and tank was still not an option.
After a brief surface interval, Gibbon and I headed for the sinkhole. The water was up and the duckweed was THICK! We entered without difficulty as the platform was about two feet underwater. Gibbon swam ahead and didn't get far when he turned around gave me the "Holy crap this water is freezing," sign. I agreed and we headed back up. This was a first for Gibbon as he has never called a dive. I find myself disappointed with my lack of cold tolerance as I wanted to get three dives in and ended with only one. I am, however, pleased to see that my wetsuit fits better and is not bulging so much in the gut anymore. The only problem now is I may have to seek more neoprene due to fat loss. I'm not at all disappointed in that. The sinhole was very clear except for where we entered for obvious reasons, and the wildlife we saw in the main was a definite plus. Gibbon said he would gig me on the "needing more suit thickness because I'm getting older," but he had the same problem so he'll not make that joke.
:D Yeah right, ya wiseacre! All in all, a great chance to get wet. Especially when we were watching the short rainfall that danced across the surface. That's always cool to watch from underwater. Hopefully, my next dive will be in saltwater again. Destin perhaps? :eyebrow:

Sounds like a good time despite the cold.

Comon out to Destin, waters in the mid 80sºF and you can leave that stinkin wetsuit at home. Bring a 'T'shirt and you'll be fine!

... now if you want to dive some of the panhandle springs, pack the wetsuit. We don't have any of those lukewarm 72ºF springs :wink: We have 68ºF spring water.

Well , some of us transplants can hang in that 72 degree stuff with a 3mm for over an hour...
But then , some of us had our brains frozen in past years too ... :11:

Jean

P.S. Hey , even I admit that after a bit , that 72 degree stuff can get a little nippy ... (Never thought I would hear myself say that)
So I understand :wink:

scubafool:
You mean like after ~2 hours, you wimpy Nawtherners start to get cold in our wonderful springs?!?

Er...uh...ah....

(ok...I guess I am getting used to the heat...) :11:
Well , at least a little ...

Yea , I guess I am getting Wimpy ... You got me on that one...
(Dang , Bubba got me again ) ... :wink:

Jean (aka wimp )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom