manatee dive question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paul G

Reaction score
I am planning to dive NY weekend - sat, sun and monday. I can drive to panhandle area or central FL. Sort of thinking about Ginnie Springs

Also, 4 day weekend 1/14 to 1/18. I think I would like to try a place in FL to see manatees - would also like to do some general diving. Any suggestions about best place for manatees and best company/charter to use?

I am AOW, nitrox and night cert. Planning to get cavern cert - I don't want to go whole cave thing. I am more interested in animal, fish and plant life and photography.

Paul

I am sorely tempted - I saw that earlier - it is 690 miles from me - long drive.... can we dive all day sat and sunday and early monday there? I see park is "closed" except for the dive that eve it sounds like. I guess I can get the phone number and call them.

My mother is here - she would be coming but not to dive - she is 86 yrs old but spry as all get out.

Thanks,
Paul

Check out Bird's Underwater. I snorkeled with them a couple of year's ago. I dont think they offer a dive option, and I didnt really want to snorkel, but it was quite awesome. I would do it again, and got some great photography from it.

I may be open for some panhandle diving on the 31st. Where did you have in mind?

Welcome to ScubaBoard by the way.

Birds Underwater is a good organization. Have done drift dives on the Rainbow River with them in the past.

Crystal River has plenty of manatees. We've used Birds Underwater, too. There is also a manatee reserve that is fun to visit. Devil's Den is within driving distance and is a cavern where you can dive with an OW certification.

The New Year's dive at Weeki Wachee will max out it's usable dive time. Cruise back up to Devil's Den or to Bird's Underwater, to Ginnie or even Paradise Springs!

Thanks to all of you for messages. I appreciate it.

This weekend, 12/31 to 1/2 - I am talking with one person around here that might be able to go somewhere.

Bratface - I am not sure how far I want to/can drive - Ginnie springs sounds really good but is 600 miles - I could probably make that but might prefer to wait until 1/14 to 1/17 - Devil's Den is 604 miles - since that is close to Ginnie Spring, would maybe try to do that same weekend? I am trying to find someone to do cavern cert that weekend. I have contacted couple people.

So maybe for this weekend, I might stick to vortex and morrison - but maybe not - decisions decisions..... argggggghhhhhh.

Bratface - whereabouts are you located and how far do you drive for short weekend?

NetDoc - what did you mean by "the new yrs dive at weeki wachee would use up usable dive time"? That it is small place and not much reason to dive it over and over and one dive and you have kind of "seen it all"?
Paul

Back
Top Bottom