Manatee 06/15/2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeandiver

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
After a day at Yinnie on Saturday...(UFFDA) we decided to jump into Friedman's at Manatee on Sunday morning. The water level was down in the sink a bit but we both managed a feet-first entry (as usual). Dropped deco bottles at the line and headed upstream. We turned after about 700 feet and "Flew" out. The vis was very nice the whole way actually. Very little particulate in the water. Light coming in at Sue's was spectacular , as usual. Catfish was a little dim due to a rain-storm that had pop-ed up while where were doing our downstream swim. Had no trouble doing deco stops in Manatee's exit (50 , 40 and 30 feet). Total run time with deco about 85 minutes. Watched the drops of rain on the surface of Manatee while on Deco which is always nice.

Another wonderful dive in the "Gothic" cave :D

Thanks!
Jean

P.S. Flow wasn't bad going upstream and it meant a little kick here and there on the downstream exit. I was told by "informed" source (people who have dove Manatee for years) that the flow is partially governed by the tides. And that cave is SO BIG that well , er , uh ... I'm still learning how to read it. :D

I really enjoyed Manatee, and if you figure out how to know when the flow is down, please share, because I'd love to get back in there on our next trip!

Apparently the tides have something to do with it(flow). Check the tides for Manatee Springs(there's a station there, or atleast close) and dive just before low slack. Atleast I think thats what I remembered reading. Never been there myself, so can't verify either way.

Nice report, Jean!

Sounds like it was a lot of fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom