Man dies in Redondo Beach diving accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
There have been a few losses there this year and at the beach of the same name in Washington, but I don't think this has been posted...

Man dies in Redondo Beach diving accident - The Daily Breeze
A diver pulled from the waters off Redondo Beach was pronounced dead Friday afternoon following a rescue operation by county lifeguards, a fire official said.

The man was one of three people who had been reported missing by a fellow diver after the group dove south of the Redondo Beach pier, said county fire Inspector Frederic Stowers.

As a six-person rescue team responded to the incident just before 1 p.m., two individuals surfaced in the water, Stowers said. The third diver had to be rescued from the sea and was initially reported to be in critical condition.

"They brought the body up from about 15 to 18 feet below," Stowers said.

The man - whom he could not identify - was transported to a local hospital and later pronounced dead, Stowers said.

Another diver suffered minor injuries due to exhaustion but did not go to the hospital, Stowers said.

The group had been diving not far from the Ruby Street lifeguard tower when rescue workers got a call at 12:52 p.m., he said.

"Apparently a diver who surfaced reported the missing divers. They may have lost their orientation as to where they were in the water," Stowers said.

Stowers described the response as "pretty rapid," given that "by 1:15 p.m., everybody had been accounted for."

Joggers and beachgoers in the area stood watching Friday as lifeguards searched the waters with Redondo Beach's Harbor Patrol.

Resident Carl Bjorck said he heard cries for help while working from his home office on The Esplanade.

"I've seen and heard a lot of things," said Bjorck, who has views of the beach and the city pier. "It was this frantic call for help. It just got worse and worse and worse."

Bjorck, who photographed the scene, described how he and others ran to help a man who was "crawling up on the beach coughing on all fours."

Bjorck recounted how the man said his buddy was in the water when he went into shock. A lifeguard equipped with a snorkel mask found the diver in about 15 feet of water near the location of a former jetty, said Bjorck, who surfs in the area.

"The one thing that I didn't see ... I didn't see a buoy there. There was no diving marker."

After the man was located, Bjorck said the rest of the lifeguards jumped in and helped bring him to shore, where they performed resuscitation efforts.

kristin.agostoni@dailybreeze.com

He was 23, getting married next month...
The Yeshiva World Tragedy: 23-Year-Old Chosson Killed In Diving Accident Frum Jewish News

Maxbottom time posted a report previously.

Dandy Don...you are good...how the hell did you find the jewish news posting...wow! LOL

Prays for the family.

Dandy Don...you are good...how the hell did you find the jewish news posting...wow! LOL

Prays for the family.
It came on a google alert I have set up. I always save those emails for last, then hope that someone has already posted it here in A&I. Deaths are rare in scuba, but we need to learn from every one possible and avoid as many as possible.

I'm wondering about this quote: "Bjorck recounted how the man said his buddy was in the water when he went into shock," or is that a misquote? If true, whey didn't the bud bring him up?

It came on a google alert I have set up. I always save those emails for last, then hope that someone has already posted it here in A&I. Deaths are rare in scuba, but we need to learn from every one possible and avoid as many as possible.

I'm wondering about this quote: "Bjorck recounted how the man said his buddy was in the water when he went into shock," or is that a misquote? If true, whey didn't the bud bring him up?

"Another diver suffered minor injuries due to exhaustion but did not go to the hospital, Stowers said."

This is speculation on my part but this may explain it. Maybe he tried but wasn't physically able to complete the task.

Very sad. It's been a rough year for socal diving fatalities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom