Trip Report MALPELO review on the Ferox liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for air consumption it's really improved since I started shedding lead. My OW instructor really had me overewheighted but that's a whole different topic.

This is a good improvement. The minimum weight you need to carry is when you are neutrally buoyant during safety stop with 30-50 bar left in your tank with no air in your BCD.

Also when your buoyancy is solid in the still water column without finning or flapping your arms or playing with your power inflator buttons to adjust your depth and most importantly relax, you’ll be amazed how low your air consumption be. My air consumption was about 0.8-0.9 cfm when I started diving and 200 dives later it’s about 0.35-0.4 cfm, cut it more than half.

How do they even confirm the number of dives? My log book has a few dives where I documented after the dive without the operator's stamp. I can get to 50 by next year but 100 is a huge stretch, I might do Gorgona first which can be done off shore and I'd like to have some negative entry experience.

As for air consumption it's really improved since I started shedding lead. My OW instructor really had me overewheighted but that's a whole different topic.
The park ranger (who is also a scuba instructor) will look through your log book so you will have to prove it. They will then accompany you on the checkout dive to watch you with some skills (ie deploying your SMB etc). There were fatalities in the park right before FEROX started operator so there is a big emphasis (with the boat and the park itself) on safety and having divers that possess the experience and skills to manage at the sites. As said elsewhere, there are TONS of great places to dive so no rush to get to Malpelo right away. If anything it will spoil you, so work your way up!

How do they even confirm the number of dives? My log book has a few dives where I documented after the dive without the operator's stamp. I can get to 50 by next year but 100 is a huge stretch, I might do Gorgona first which can be done off shore and I'd like to have some negative entry experience.

I remember a case a few years ago, someone very nice, also beginner, who disappeared at the beginning of a dive on the quiest site of the island... I went there a few days after and made a few dives on this site, found nothing, even on the bottom at -60m, not even a belt, a weight, nothing...

Take your time, gain experience, live your life ... Malpelo will still be there in 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom