Male/Female Brain Psych Reseach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EQ 42
SQ 52

Many times I had to choose the "slightly" option only because of the use of adverbs like, always, usually, often.......

Glad you enjoyed it Penny. I found it rather amusing myself.

Gee I seem to be motivated tonight.

Anyhow. Here's the breakdown for divers only.

:laughing:
Nice to see there weren't any huge surprises there!!!!
My synopsis: Men are geekier than women. Women divers are geekier than most. But in the end, all divers are geeks. :D

goodknight411:
Gee I seem to be motivated tonight.

Anyhow. Here's the breakdown for divers only.
Interesting "extreme S" result. Makes you wonder why divers in general are not walking talking poster children for the spectrum of autistic and pervasive developmental disorders.

I have noted on other scales that I tend to be pretty balanced, but I am pretty sure I was not born that way. I think a lot of it has to do with my career field and training as a counselor. But then the counter argument would be that I was attracted to my field because I was born that way. Maybe both.

I also wondered to what degree individual responses may have been subject to some degree of falsification as the scales were pretty face valid. People would be prone to answering questions on how they would like to be perceived or how they would aspire to be based on their value systems rather than how they are, and I think this could be particularly true for technical divers, pilots, engineers, etc where analytical reasoning and technical skills are perceived as being more valued than touchy feely skills.

It's probably a better explanation for the high extreme S scores than a much higher than average inclination among the population studied toward anything on the autistic spectrum.

Still it is very interesting. I am just finishing a paper on Autistim and PDD in regard to Rehabiltation Counseling and may add some discussion based on the work you cited.

TheDivingPreacher:
Many times I had to choose the "slightly" option only because of the use of adverbs like, always, usually, often.......
Avoiding the extremes is a common phenomenon on any Likert scale and has to be accounted for in the development of the instrument. In this case I suspect the words like "always", "never", "usually" and "often" are being used to help differentiate between agree/strongly agree and disagree/strongly disagree respondents.

To be honest, my perceptions of my personality will be different than other's perceptions of it.

I am one of the few technical types that I know who wants to know the larger picture FIRST and then concentrate on the little thing that is wrong. My curiousity about how exactly a system runs is there, but my perception of that is that is far less than others around me. I want to know "why", not precisely "what" until I need to.

On another test with learning types, I came up as a theorist. I drive people batty with "why" questions :) .

MikeC:
Wouldn't your results then be invalid because you let your person feelings alter the results?? "cause I didn't like the results of the first one". Sounds like creative stats 101 to me.

The results are invalid, the computer is in no way a good testing enviorment and tests avilable to the general public are never considered valid. All according to psychological testing requirements, but its still fun and interesting.

Male
EQ 44
SQ 48

Interesting, maybe it would also be interesting to see what types of jobs people are in. In the audio/video industry, and I guess the extreme S makes sense, since tracking down and fixing other peoples screw ups is pretty much my job.. :)

Z...

Zeeman:
Interesting, maybe it would also be interesting to see what types of jobs people are in. In the audio/video industry, and I guess the extreme S makes sense, since tracking down and fixing other peoples screw ups is pretty much my job.. :)

Z...

Funny you should mention that...

I actually looked in all ya'lls profiles to get that info. (shoulda just ask but I forgot).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom