Maldives. Ever heard of it?

Maldives- ever heard of it before the big dust-up?

• I had known that SCUBA Diving is done in Maldives before this

Votes: 70 87.5%
  • I could have pointed at Maldives on the map

Votes: 44 55.0%
  • I knew that Maldivian ministers had an underwater Ocean Level summit this last winter

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I know the airport gateway cities that a North American would fly through to get to Male

Votes: 12 15.0%
  • I knew about the unique airport situation in Male and how one gets to diving from there

Votes: 12 15.0%
  • I knew what features Maldives diving is best known for

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I knew the true relevance of past effects there such as Tsunami and Coral Bleachings

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • I knew that diving was done from liveaboards

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • I knew what a "dhoni" was and the specifics of how they operate

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I knew that there are resorts and what they offer, and how they are perceived in luxury level

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I had previously realistically intended to go to Maldives to dive

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Travel to that area is time/cost prohibitive for a North American

Votes: 26 32.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not really - it's missing the "never heard of it".

Then add a follow-on post to state such.

I was limited by the 12 question maximum. There is no editing a poll when you hit that magic button!

The Maldives are definitely on a diver's radar who lives in Singapore. In my case, the pull of destinations in Indonesia, PNG, and Australia always won out. I do wish I had opted for the Maldives over Sri Lanka, but in that case it was a matter of what I could organize two days before Chinese New Year. Or maybe National Day--one of those holidays where you'd really prefer to be traveling. For those who weren't very aware of the Maldives from a diver's perspective, a subscription to Undercurrent would have clued you in, and even taught you what a dhoni is.

:( That's means I'm not counted. . . .

My friends almost drowned on a non-diving tour boat in the Maldives, otherwise I would never have heard of them. And I couldn't put my finger on them on a map.

Travel to that area is time/cost prohibitive for a North American

I knew all but that one...I know you can't change it now but it should read "some North Americans" not "a North American". Then again Travel to Key Largo is time/cost prohibitive for "some North Americans". Not really a good fact for a factual poll. Just an opinion though!

I guess I am one of those who knows all about it but don't have any intent to go there... too many other places with good diving that are more easily reached. I have a long "to do" list, and it isn't even in the top 25, even if I didn't know about the deaths on that liveaboard.

robin:D

Travel to that area is time/cost prohibitive for a North American

I knew all but that one...I know you can't change it now but it should read "some North Americans" not "a North American". Then again Travel to Key Largo is time/cost prohibitive for "some North Americans". Not really a good fact for a factual poll. Just an opinion though!
A more charitable read might be: "The cost/traveling time from North America is a deterrent to me traveling there." Of course, it seems that 10%-20% of posts responding to polls on Scubaboard are made to point out flaws with the poll, so carry on.

I've heard of the place, but never really felt like booking a trip there. Perhaps it's the name ... "mal" means "bad" in some languages, yanno ...

Think about it ... kinda like trying to sell a car named "Nova" to a Mexican ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

A lady diver friend of mine had it as one of her dream destinations and wanted me to go there with her... until she fell in love with another guy. Better hurry before they disappear under the ocean surface due to rising sea level.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom