Malaysia / Sipadan 120 divers restriction - recommendation needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

perodona

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Dear all,

We're a family of divers planning for our next diving adventure. We're looking at Malaysia/Sipadan but are worried about the 120 divers restriction and not being able to reserve seats before going. Also checking some of the diving resorts around Sipadan they have a disclaimer with small fonts that they do NOT guarantee that we can go to Sipadan for diving. We're planning to go in july/early-august timeframe which i believe is "best" season (=many divers). Coming from Denmark we just can't come back if we don't get any seats to Sipadan.

So, how do this actually works ? whats our chances ? can we go together (family of four) ?
(staying for at least 7-8 days)

Your input is highly appreciated.

note: also - as an alternative - we are looking at Bornea/Indonesia, i.e. Extra Divers Worldwide: Nabucco´s Nunukan Island Resort / Indonesien - if You have any input around that area/site, please let us know.

Best regards
perodona

The way it works for Sipadan permits is that different resorts are allotted a specific number each day. This number is pre-determined. So the best way to get the most dives at Sipadan dive sites is to stay with an operator that has the maximum number of permits (14) and the smallest number of guests to divide them up amongst. The operators I use will not outright guarantee anyone a particular number of dives at Sipadan, but they do have policies they follow so that if you stay for a certain number of days at the resort you get a certain number of dives at Sipadan. With the length of your stay, during peak season, I would guess that you'd get to Sipadan 3 to 4 times, with two dives each time.

I personally think it's worthwhile going to Mabul/Kapalai/Sipadan even with the permit restrictions because the dive sites that are not located at Sipadan island are wonderful in their own right. You can see such fantastic stuff as mandarin fish mating, for example. Honestly, you'd get bored if you went to Sipadan every day anyway, and you'd be wishing for some new dive sites.

Dear perodona, my advice:

1. Discuss with the resort/operator and most of them will try to fulfill your needs. As Quero were saying, within a certain day of stay, they will allocate a dive in Sipadan. Sometimes, divers get to dive Sipadan more than once. Depending on the season.

2. Choose resorts with high numbers of permit. This will help you for allocation for the whole family/group. When i was there, the whole bunch of us (14 divers) manage to enjoy Sipadan on the very same day and trip.

3. Book early. This will help the resorts to plan for your Sipadan dive.

4. Also as Quero were saying, it is worthwhile to dive Mabul-Kapalai. The dives in Mabul-Kapalai are fantastic. That is where i first spotted my flamboyant cuttlefish and many others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom