malaria and wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sonar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hi all,

2 short questions (for now);

- Is it necessary to use anti-malaria pills on lombok/ komodo/ sulawesi? From what I read online it's recommended but they said the same about the area in Philipinnes I visited while nobody used it and malaria was last seen 5y ago

- I want to buy a shorty wetsuit. Not sure if I want to buy it in Holland or in Bali; what thickness would you advise for April? I am European so I can pbb handle more cold than an Asian. What is the normal price for a shorty? Over here it's around 100u$d

I might update this topic when I have more questions if you don't mind :confused:

I would not take malaria meds, and have not done so. The meds can be more problematic than the malaria concern. Take standard precautions during night and twilight hours.

Nemo Wetsuit in Bali makes custom suits, plus should have some on rack too. Nemo diving & surfing wetsuits, custom made wetsuits
Price maybe around $100 for shortie. Get one with attached hood, much warmer.

Thickness problematic, as temp varies widely, as well as body tolerance. Lombok & Sulawesi warmer, but Komodo colder. 3 mil may be fine, but 5 mil may be better for Komodo, buy you still might freeze with shortie.

I dislike shorties, and wear only full suits. For Sulawesi, I've used 1-3 mil suits. Depends on how long I'm diving. After a couple weeks or so, 1-2 mil gets a little cold for me on longer dives. I know a German dive guide there that wears hooded 6.5 mil, and still gets cold, so go figure.

If I could bring only one, I'd bring full 3 mil with hood, and if possible bring 1.5 mil vest as well.

You mileage may vary, and you will likely get lots of different opinions.

hi all,

2 short questions (for now);

- Is it necessary to use anti-malaria pills on lombok/ komodo/ sulawesi? From what I read online it's recommended but they said the same about the area in Philipinnes I visited while nobody used it and malaria was last seen 5y ago

- I want to buy a shorty wetsuit. Not sure if I want to buy it in Holland or in Bali; what thickness would you advise for April? I am European so I can pbb handle more cold than an Asian. What is the normal price for a shorty? Over here it's around 100u$d

I might update this topic when I have more questions if you don't mind :confused:
Personally I just bought a 5mm shorty with a hood here in europe before my going to bali - komodo - sulawesi in early april. Why in europe and not in Asia would will ask me as it's much cheaper over there, the reason is simple, I haven't been to Indonesia yet, but wherever else I've been in east of Asia I haven't been able to find 5mm shorties, just 3mm.
I did pay 199€ for mine, and trust me, a 5mm will protect u more than a 3mm if u feel more the cold.

For the malaria question, can't help u there. But really don't think u really need to bother about it. Otherwise no tourist would go there anymore.

Anti-malarials: I'm not a doctor so I don't make up my own rules about health. If you've seen what malaria can do, the gift that keeps on giving, the choice is clear. There are specific anti-malarials you want to use for that area and some that aren't right. Ask a pro, not the boards "doctors".

You'd definitely want to buy it in safe ol' Europe and not in Asia.

buying malaria pills; definitely in europe. I think i will look for a 5mm shorty with a hoody in Bali.. better warm than cold :)

Dengue is more prevalent than malaria in some areas. Don't be duped into thinking that anti-malarials will protect you from the woes of mosquito borne disease.
You have to be diligent about mosquito repellent day and night.

must be honest here i thought when i read the thread title this was about trying wetsuits on as a preventive measure against malaria from mosquito bites...

I thought the malarial mosquitoes bred in damp wetsuits! :wink:

must be honest here i thought when i read the thread title this was about trying wetsuits on as a preventive measure against malaria from mosquito bites...

I thought too... Wearing a drysuit with full hood all day and all night should be very efficient for keeping mosquito bites at bay. :D

Thanks for the chuckles from these responses!!

On a serious note.. we froze in September diving in Bali. I had a full 5ml on with a hood! We have taken the pills sometimes and sometimes not. I do use spray while on land! Next time I think I will try the dry suit with full hood all day and night idea from
Luko!!! Seems foolproof!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom