Malaria and Dengue in North Sulawesi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don’t get carried away with % of deet. It only refers to the duration. If you’re going to be outside for an hour or two, 20% is as effective as 100%. Get the dry-spray - it’s more comfortable to use.

14% works too. And it much less destructive to anything that it comes in contact with.

Just want to share my experience with the ectognatha.

I spent about 10 days in north Sulawesi : Manado (on shore), Bangka island, and Lembeh.

I got bitten every time I forgot to use insect repellent. Regardless of time of day. At lunch, between dives two and 3. After Lunch and before the night dive. After the night dive. Any time I didn't have insect repellent on me, I got bitten.
Then from day 2, I put the insect repellent bottle in the bathroom. So when I took off my skin suit, showered and just before putting on my shorts and a shirt, I'd spray myself. Even the parts under my (short) shirt sleeves and shorts. Basically any exposed skin, including my face, back and front sides of my neck, ears, and so on.

This way I didn't get bitten.

If you are in an area where there is malaria/dengue and there are mosquitos, you can get it - statistical probabilities aside.

In retrospect, I should've taken a malaria prophylaxis - but this is a lesson for next time.

I have been going to Manado and Lembeh for 20 years+. Dengue is the worry, not malaria - as many posters have said. Malaria medication - can have bad side effects, not least stomach disturbances (that's an understatement) which can ruin your diving holiday. And it is expensive.

It is normal, in our experience, that mosquitoes bite all day long. They particularly love the shade underneath the table or under the seat in a vehicle. And they fly up your trouser leg.

So - short sleeve shirt? Shorts? Long trousers are a major protector and with modern fabrics, breathable and cool. But I have been bitten through trousers, but only a couple of times. Long sleeve shirts, same. Get liberated I say. Good quality mosquito repellent on everything that is exposed plus 6 inches up your leg or arm, put on your long shirt and trousers and leave your room with a very rude gesture, snarling something like "Take that you mosquitoes".

Just - do not allow them to bite. And watch out for them in the shower cubicle.

c4a62b9c5de487cb257ad02d09d6091e.jpg

Here's an update from the trip...

The trip was last two weeks of October, and we were told we arrived after 4 months of no rain. It briefly poured rained for the first time on about our 4th day there and everyday for a couple after that. It was dry as a popcorn fart there. We spent a week at Murex Manado and 10 days at Murex Bangka. Both resorts had mosquito nets, but they were draped over the beds formed in 4 panels, so mosquitoes could easily fit through them. However, the only time I noticed any biting insects was on Bangka in the evenings around my ankles on a couple nights only. I'm not sure if they were mosquitoes or sand flies as I didn't see them.

After asking several locals they all said the same thing: Never heard of anyone getting malaria in that area, but occasional infections of Dengue. Basically, they all knew someone who had Dengue at some point, but it really didn't sound like it was high risk.

After reading this thread and talking to more locals and friends in the area before the trip I decided not to take the Malarone, and I don't think that opened up any risk for me. Unless something changed, I would not plan to take Malarone in the future either.

On the other hand, the diving was phenomenal! Also, Murex Manado and Bangka are both excellent, professional, but also laid back dive resorts. We visited the Lembeh resort as well and were glad that we didn't pay the higher price to stay there for any of our nights in N. Sulawesi - not our cup of tea. There are plans to upgrade the Bankga location to a 4-star level like Lembeh over the next couple years which is a disappointment for me, and I will not go back if they follow through with that.

It took 4 years for them to build the new restaurant and the newer units. They still don't have 24 7 electricity throughout and have to pipe in their water over a small mountain. It'll be awhile before you need to worry about Murex Bangka turning into Lembeh Resort. Enjoy as long as it lasts.

Sure is some mighty nice diving, isn't it?

It took 4 years for them to build the new restaurant and the newer units. They still don't have 24 7 electricity throughout and have to pipe in their water over a small mountain. It'll be awhile before you need to worry about Murex Bangka turning into Lembeh Resort. Enjoy as long as it lasts.
Well, efforts to converge showed, especially on the price, which I have already said is i think wrong policy (and even told them as early as 2015), since they had different kind of customers. Bangka was nice because it was small, basic and local managed which attracted mostly europeans looking for authenticiity than comfort.
That's probably why I'm not going to Bangka anymore since.

Well, efforts to converge showed, especially on the price, which I have already said is i think wrong policy (and even told them as early as 2015), since they had different kind of customers. Bangka was nice because it was small, basic and local managed which attracted mostly europeans looking for authenticiity than comfort.
That's probably why I'm not going to Bangka anymore since.

All the more for us Luko. :wink:

All the more for us Luko. :wink:
Unfortunately, you won't benefit from their best guide anymore... gone with the management change.
It's like the location is still physically there but the spirit has gone somewhere else.

Unfortunately, you won't benefit from their best guide anymore... gone with the management change.
It's like the location is still physically there but the spirit has gone somewhere else.

I know. He's in Padang Bai working as an instructor. He tells me that he's very happy.

There was another guide that I liked almost as well but he quit to work elsewhere and now wishes that Murex would take him back but apparently that is against their policy. Seems a shame to me. Young people should be able to try their wings and then decide that home was best for them.

Back
Top Bottom