Malapascua trip report (Part 4)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very nice and organized trip report. Thanks. We should have done Dona Marilyn. The thought kinda creeped me out and I thought that the top of the wreck was at 30+ and not 18+ m.

Thanks very much for your detailed trip report. I am currently considering a trip to Malapascua next month (June 2012). I am not particularly interested in the thresher sharks, but am interested in seeing some pretty reefscapes, i.e., soft coral vistas on walls, slopes etc.

Could you comment on how scenic the underwater world is in the vicinity of Malapascua?

Thanks,
Erwin

Erwin, I would say that a photographer with your ability and your equipment should have no shortage of great photo opportunities, but most of your better pictures would be macro shots rather than reefscapes. There are a few sites offering scenic panoramas or whatever, but (apart from the wrecks) I enjoyed most sites for the critters more than for the atmospheric vistas. However, there were many Malapascua dive sites I didn't get to so I don't want to mislead you. But from the sites I dived I'd say you're usually best off with your macro lens. What I'll do is PM you a link to the photos taken by one of the guys I met while I was there and you can see for yourself.

---------- Post added May 18th, 2012 at 09:47 PM ----------

Very Nice Trip Report. I see that you are also a SCUBA Instructor, are you taking the tec courses to eventually teach Tec??

Cheers,
Roger

Hi Roger, no I'm doing the technical diving purely for my own pleasure, so I can dive deep wrecks. I think the instruction at that level of diving should best be left to folks with a lot more technical diving experience than I'll probably ever have.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the feedback (including the link to the photo page). It is much appreciated.

You're welcome of course, and I remembered (when I took another look at those pictures myself) that the photographer and his wife usually dive Bonaire or other Caribbean islands where there aren't many nudibranchs -- so when they come to the Pacific he goes a little bit nudibranch-crazy, and his gallery reflects that. So don't worry; there's lots of other stuff besides nudis.

A couple of other folks mentioned Calanggaman Island which is one of the many sites I didn't visit. A couple of the local divemasters and instructors spoke highly of it. It is said to be very beautiful topside, and also offers an almost unspoiled reef underwater, so that might offer the panoramic shots you're looking for. Some parts of the reef around Gato Island also had that wide-angle vibe, and certainly the Dona Marilyn is also very photogenic. All of those sites are relatively far (an hour or so by boat, vs. 10 or 20 minutes) from Malapascua so the dive centers only go there when they have enough interested divers to justify the fuel and other expenses.

Wherever you end up going next month, please post a trip report and tell us about it.

Cheers

Any tips on resorts to stay at and best time of year to go to be able to see the thresher sharks????

Threshers are all year round, theres a few nice small hotels with great value. I dived with evolution and stayed at purple snapper. Basic clean lodgings with a pool and hot water. Think it was php500-1400 /night. A short 5 min walk to beach/evo. There also a fancy new resort on the beach -ocean vida? Where expect to pay high end! I miss mabuhay breakfast!!

Thanks Gee13!!

Another thanks for taking the time to produce a really useful report; I'm planning a trip to Malapascua in January so its great to have this!

Back
Top Bottom