Malapascua or/and Moalboal??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

babydoll

Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning to go to Cebu for 6 days around mid-March.
Is that enough time to dive in both Malapascua and Moalboal? Or should I just stay in one place? If the latter, which one do you recommend if I want to dive and also relax on the beach? Also, are there any dive shops that you would recommend me to go with?

Thank you in advance for helping me plan my trip!

I'm planning to go to Cebu for 6 days around mid-March.
Is that enough time to dive in both Malapascua and Moalboal? Or should I just stay in one place? If the latter, which one do you recommend if I want to dive and also relax on the beach? Also, are there any dive shops that you would recommend me to go with?

Thank you in advance for helping me plan my trip!

Hi babydoll,

Did you make it out to Taiwan to check the diving this month ~ as I saw your note in Asia bit of forum a month back. I was diving in Kenting last weekend - but poor weather conditions and viz not so good.

For Cebu - we took a two location dive holiday first week of December. Landed at Mactan early morning, got down and diving in MoalBoal by early afternooon, and after two days diving there got back up to Mactan for a couple of days diving there. A bit rushed, but managed to get plenty of good diving at the two Cebu locations, and get time on the beach etc. You'll maybe find my trip reports of use as I included links to places we stayed, and dive centres we used.

Currently planning our own next trip for mid March also, probably Bohol, or Malpascua where we've never been, or Dumagette again, and throwing in a day or two at Mactan again, as it's so close to airport --- anyway, here's links of my last trip there.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...alboal-december-2-4-2010-some-pics-words.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...n-cebu-december-4-7-2010-some-words-pics.html

Cheers

I think it’s a bit rushy to go for both locations if you only have 6 days, you have to count on that you will spend one entire day travelling from one to the other, and thus I would go for only one.

Moalboal and Malapasqua have quite different dive sites. The majority of dives at Moalboal are wall dives, there are a few bottom dives but these are +30m (100ft). There is a good white beach near Moalboal approx. 15 minutes drive in a tricycle, you can also find a recreational area with waterfalls approx 30 minute drive from Moalboal again this is with a tricycle. If you so desire there is a Japanese dive shop at Moalboal, however I stayed at Savedra, which I can recommend they have their own accommodations at various price levels.
Malapasqua have a lot of shallow dives 12m (40ft) in the vicinity of the island 5 to 10 minutes with a banka. There are also deeper dives and wreak dives, the likes of Dona Marilyn but these are further away from the island. There are plenty of white beaches around the whole island so no problem there.
When we were on Malapasqua we stayed at Logon Beach resort and dove with Thresher Shark Divers, they can arrange accommodation for you as part of a dive package.

To recommend one of these that’s a bit difficult as I don’t know what type of diving you prefer (wall or bottom), to give you something to chew on I would go for Malapasqua first and include Moalboal in your next dive trip.

I ended staying at Moalboal the whole time and dove with Savedra. The visibility wasn't great during the days when I was there, but I still had a great time.
Thanks Wantonmien and scubajo007 for your advice.

Did you make it out to Taiwan to check the diving this month ~ as I saw your note in Asia bit of forum a month back. I was diving in Kenting last weekend - but poor weather conditions and viz not so good.

Yes I made it out to Taiwan in Dec/Jan but did not end up diving in the south. I'll probably go there again this July or August for diving. :wink:

Defintely not enough time to do either location justice...

Scubajo's comments are pretty clear I think - Malapascua has the sharks and rays but also lots of great macro dives close to the island.

Let me know if you need more info if you decide on Malapascua

Matt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom