Mako Free Diver Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
I think I want some of these. Seems like a relatively decent entry level free diver fin. I have owned similar fins long ago but never the type with the interchangeable blades etc.

Anyways, what boots or fins socks are suggested, if any, and how does the sizing run on these? Me, I wear an 11 USA (sometimes a 10.5).

I intend to use them as a SCUBA fin primarily but free diving also.

How practical is blade removal for travel packing?

N

I intend to and I got a few PMs on this subject.

Since I intend to use them for SCUBA and since the blades are removable and replaceable, has anyone trimmed the standard blades to a slightly shorter length?

My wife asked me why I need another set of fins. I just looked at her, like, why not?

I feel the need for speed!

N

I've experimented with shortening them. I know another scuba diver who has done that to the Cressi sub fins. It is simple to take a jig saw and lop them off and then you can use the trailing edge section to make a final cut that follows the original edge profile (if you care). You don't want to cut much off, 3 inches will make them noticeably easier to deal with on the boat, but shortening the blades also makes them feel stiffer, since you are losing the floppy end of the blade. So don't cut too much off on the first iteration.

They lose a little performance with the shortened blade, but not a whole lot. They sell replacement blades pretty cheap, so a mistake is not disastrous.

Thanks, that is what i was thinking, to shorten them maybe two inches to make them easier to deal with on a boat. I will wait and see though, maybe like them just as they are. I was figuring also a little more stiffness might not be bad since they are free dive fins and a loaded up SCUBA diver is not nearly so sleek, a little more stiffness might be okay, again, I will wait and see.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom