Making yourself heard...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not really sure about myself, guess its a mood thing. SOmetimes i go in spurts and post a bunch of comments/criticisms etc. Most of the time people truly appreciate the comments and i hope i am helping people out when i do so. Other times i am also guilty of the "nice shot" thing...
There are people who post shots a lot more often than others and i try to give comment/helpful hint every week or so. But sometimes those photos take forever for me to load and i give up after a couple of minutes...(slow connection out in the islands)
I should give more advice shouldn't i? Ok, will do...!
However, what i give is CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. Do not take offence if i pick apart a photo completely. That is one thing that is wrong with forums like these, very easy to take things the wrong way. (My sarcastic nature doesn't help i must admit.... :) )

I understand your feeling when you have slow connections. After a while I get really frustrated and stop surfing. Fortunately either home and in the office we have fast connection

I would really appreciate your comments on the next pictures I will post. Coming from a professional it will help me and everybody else here in the board. I saw your gallery and website. Great great job. :35:

I don't even look thru all the threads here. I generally look at anything at an area I'm familiar with or anything posted by one of you photo-guru's that tend to post superb photographs regularly. I usually only post in threads from my area, or about a camera I've used(not many), or if there is particular pic or set of pics that just stand out to me.

SuPrBuGmAn:
I don't even look thru all the threads here. I generally look at anything at an area I'm familiar with or anything posted by one of you photo-guru's that tend to post superb photographs regularly. I usually only post in threads from my area, or about a camera I've used(not many), or if there is particular pic or set of pics that just stand out to me.

when its someone new to photography, generally its "don't lose heart you got a picture" and a little advice on how it could have been made better.

Also like to post when a exceptional photo comes up

I just haven't had much time to spend on the boards lately. But I agree with several of ya'll.

Sometimes I just don't have the time. Sometimes I just feel silly when all I can say is 'nice pic' over and over, just seems too much like a cut and paste answer but I run out of words! When I have the time I look at every photo. With some I'm just in a state of awe and can't speak. :wink:

I'll try to do better....promise! :D

alcina:
Maybe I should have asked - "why don't we post replies"

some get lots of replies and lots of views, some get lots of views and few replies

I know I don't always take the time to say "well done" or "thanks for posting that" or "I really like xxx" ... I should, as a photographer myself I know how nice it is to hear that your image is appreciated or liked! For me, I don't sometimes due to time constraints, but beyond that??
this is interesting to me as well, i started with a $50 (35mm and now dig) camera and am now up to speed on a better set up, i am not great as a photographer, but i have had a lot of views but no comments or ratings, i can see my improvment but still dont know why i get no comments or ratings? a friend has sent some of my pics to a mag and they are looking at them, so i am geeting better i think? i try to always make a rating or a comment on someones pics to let them know that i appreciate them sharing!!

A different angle. Like most of us I have struggled over the years with UW photography and more recently with post processing (read Photoshop). There is a great sense of satisfaction when you first acquire and then master a particular skill. When you see someone struggle with the same problems, don't you want to help? It is not a sense of self importance, but "hey, this can be fun! Let me share the joy!" That said, I think I have learned more from this community than I have been able to share.

---Bob

jim - are you talking about in the gallery or in the forum out here?

Again, I admit I don't browse the galleries - even when a link is posted I'll likely only look at the first few or so. Most days I just don't have the time to go through 20+ shots! But I do try to look at most of the ones here in the Photo forum (I miss some sometimes)...and I am going to try to be better about making comments - even if I am the 20th person to say "great job"...it's no less heartfelt than if I had been the 1st and I want to let the photog know that I do appreciate the post FWIW!

Our here, I won't really offer much advice or constructive criticism unless someone asks for it. Sometimes I post a photo simply to share the moment - it doesn't have to be technically or even particularly aesthetically pleasing...it's just for fun and I think others do the same.

I'd like to see this forum become more active - hopefully the warmer weather for a lot of you will mean more diving!

jim ernst:
this is interesting to me as well, i started with a $50 (35mm and now dig) camera and am now up to speed on a better set up, i am not great as a photographer, but i have had a lot of views but no comments or ratings, i can see my improvement but still don't know why i get no comments or ratings? a friend has sent some of my pics to a mag and they are looking at them, so i am getting better i think? i try to always make a rating or a comment on someones pics to let them know that i appreciate them sharing!!
I think I know part of the answer to getting views and ratings in the gallery. My pictures are of ordinary stuff and I'm just a sophomore underwater photographer so the only thing I can think of is how often I post in the forums gives others exposure to my gallery. I'm pretty post happy and I'm in the top 5 for number of views in the gallery. Others here have far better subjects and talent than I do so what else could account for the "popularity"? Chippy has great pictures but my number of views is higher than his - he doesn't post as often as I do so it fits the pattern. A higher number of pictures posted in the gallery probably helps some too.

I guess you can be a blabbermouth and overly fond of your own work to get views and ratings :D .

ok... I guess in order to get comments (critique) I should post more into the Forum. Leaving them in the gallery doesn't really elicit much response :D....

Back
Top Bottom