Making yourself heard...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I don't think I am good enough to critic photos so I generally don't comment, but I really do love the photos. On the other hand, I do try to give first hand advise to anyone who wants an opinion on the equipment I come across. It helped me in the past and I'd like to pass it forward :). But please feel free to comment on my gallery ...please! I need all the help I can get :D.

I'm sometimes short on time so I don't always get to reply to all the posts with pictures. If I'm pressed for time, I will try to reply to new folks before you old masters. I was encouraged to learn and shoot more because people were nice enough to look at my pictures. It's amazing what a "thanks for posting" will do. I remember posting the first pictures I shot, they were not works of art :D. I try to appreciate all the pictures posted here. Some are new and blue and some are museum quality. I don't feel like I have to critique pictures unless asked. I'm just greatful that they shared the dive with me. I'm a diver that takes pictures, not a photographer that dives, so I enjoy pictures even if they are not "perfect". I also like to see what others can do with equipment, software, and talent. I learn a lot by just looking.

Regarding photo critique, I don't think that is is neccessary that you have to have the technical expertise to say why you like or don't like it. It is not all about exposure, f-stop, shutterspeed. When you see a picture that you really like, even if you don't know all the technical aspect of taking pictures, surely there must be something about the picture that make you like it, whether it is the composition, color or whatever.
I think we all can learn something from sharing our opinions, pictures etc as long as we keep it civilize and don't just say something like "your pictures suck!" :D

alcina:
Is it the photographer - are you more likely to post something to a new name than an old name or vice versa? Is it the subject matter - macro, wide angle, unusual creature, your favourite creature? Is it how "good" the photo is? Is it mostly when you have a question? Is it how much time you have available? Do you simply cruise through and enjoy the images? Other thoughts?

No reason for this curiosity except pure inquisitiveness!

Do you mean in the galleries or posts in the photography forums here? I usually don't browse pictures in a gallery unless:

1) I see one when I first visit the site in that four or five group that attracts my eye. Even then I may not comment, I just like to look. Although if something really stands out and makes me go wow, I'll do a vote on it.

2) Someone says, "Here is what I did with XXX camera", and that's my camera or one I'm interested in etc.

Other than that I usually try to only post when I can add something to the conversation / thread. Although sometimes I'll have an urge to say something funny, and I just can't resist it usually.

Wolverine:
Well, I don't think I am good enough to critic photos so I generally don't comment, but I really do love the photos. .

I hear ya on this one!

BUT I think every single person that views an image, whether they are a photographer, a newbie or an old hand, has valid comments to make. From "wow I like that" to "I'd love to see that from a different angle" to "great colours" or simply "Thanks for posting"

I like feedback of all sorts - not just on my own images, but on other people's...I learn a lot from that! It doesn't have to be a "critique" or offer a suggestion...just seeing what strikes people is very informative.

Kriterian - I was talking about here in the forum...for me it's more immediate than taking time to browse a gallery. And funny comments are great, too :wink:

ssra30:
don't just say something like "your pictures suck!"
yeah, please tell me which part sucks the most!!

I also check the "New Posts" and look for "Underwater Photography" postings. I usually reply to those that I really like or to admittedly new photographers looking for advice with their early experiences. I guess, like most of us, sometimes I'm just in a hurry and don't take the time to even say "Thanks for sharing". I'll try to change that. Thanks Alcina for making me reflect on my actions.

By the way, I guess you guys didn't like my "Tiger Shark Night Dive" photos. I didn't get a lot of responses. Waah!

I too enjoy seeing the pictures. I cannot add any amount of Solutions to Photo problems and until You say something is wrong with the Photo, I cannot see it. I've been taking pictures for well over 30yrs but only for Work related or military purposes. That is quite a bit different.
The People are not looking for Color or compsition. They are looking for Information. I think most of Your Photos are stunning! I have never taken the time for those "Perfect" shots. For the work I do, I jerk the Contrast for the sake of information but little else.
I don't usally say anything because You are much more talented than I. I do thank You for posting the pictures. Bill

debersole:
By the way, I guess you guys didn't like my "Tiger Shark Night Dive" photos. I didn't get a lot of responses. Waah!

I did reply to your post. However I did not say much as I was too busy being jealous of the pictures/dive and too ashame to admit that I would be too chicken to do such dive, especially at night :D

When I have time to go through the forum I always start with UW photography to see if the is any new post with some nice shot.
I have to be honest. I post and give a reply only when I like the picture. If I don’t do that means I don’t have anything special to say. :wink:
As I am still far away to have the skill of a good photographer and still have to learn a lot I actually don’t feel to be in a position to criticize any pictures or to give some advice.

I really like when the pictures comes with the setting, like Gilligan does. This is helping me a lot in improving my skill.

I thing everyone of us when posting any pictures wants to have a lot of views but for sure want to have a lot of POSITIVE REPLY. I am part of this group.

We do not always have time and feel like to give an answer especially if it is a critic this maybe because we do not want to disappoint someone.
In my case I would really appreciate any feedback, good or bad, I want be offended. :bigun2: or angry :angry:. I just want some :help_2: to learn more and improve my skill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom