Making yourself heard...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I've got the curiosity bug and thought I'd ask a question of all of us to see what makes us get up the energy and motivation to post a reply when someone posts a photo or photos here on the board.

Is it the photographer - are you more likely to post something to a new name than an old name or vice versa? Is it the subject matter - macro, wide angle, unusual creature, your favourite creature? Is it how "good" the photo is? Is it mostly when you have a question? Is it how much time you have available? Do you simply cruise through and enjoy the images? Other thoughts?

No reason for this curiosity except pure inquisitiveness!

Hmmm, I generally post replies if I like the pictures or if I have something specific to ask about the picture, location,lenses etc.

Same here, I post to pictures I like. I like them for different reasons
The colors, the crispness, the composition, More macro, some wall.
I view the new post option and if there is something in the UW photography forum I look and post. I admit that viewing that way I miss some threads

Myself, The Board represents all things SCUBA. May I forever be fascinated by the creatures in and the people who, visit the deep.
Also, I'm a regular chatterbox, I love to participate in the forums and comment whenever I see an interesting Photograph, if for nothing else than to just say "Thanks for sharing".

Maybe I should have asked - "why don't we post replies"

some get lots of replies and lots of views, some get lots of views and few replies

I know I don't always take the time to say "well done" or "thanks for posting that" or "I really like xxx" ... I should, as a photographer myself I know how nice it is to hear that your image is appreciated or liked! For me, I don't sometimes due to time constraints, but beyond that??

ok, looking at it that way -it's like I said. Due to the way that I find the posts I miss some. I really try to post to all in some kind of form.

I guess I am lazy sometimes and have a bit of photo critic fatigue syndrome :) (I am by no mean an expert on the subject) so I tend to reply when I see something I like and kind of keep quiet if I don't like the picture. Some people post pictures frequently and in that case, I tend to wait until I see a picture that is really exceptional. Afterall, Alcina, how often would you like to hear me say nice pic? :)
Personally when I occasionally post some pictures, it is nice to hear occasional nice pics or thanks for posting but is more appreciative of feedback, good or bad, room for improvement (although I have to confess that I am not doing a good job at giving other people useful feedback either).

ssra30:
Afterall, Alcina, how often would you like to hear me say nice pic? :)
Ummm, pretty much all of the time - especially with the so-so ones :eyebrow:
I'm not above liking a little ego boost now and again - lol!

ssra30:
Personally when I occasionally post some pictures, it is nice to hear occasional nice pics or thanks for posting but is more appreciative of feedback, good or bad, room for improvement (although I have to confess that I am not doing a good job at giving other people useful feedback either).

Yup, agree wholeheartedly that the feedback is awesome. This is a great way to learn nad/or to see from a new perspective - looking at what individuals like, dislike, would like to see next time etc...I also like to hear/say simply "good job" or "thanks for posting" as it's nice to know the time taken made someone's day a bit brighter - I know coming in here and seeing the photos does that for me! I need to be better at that.

Lisa...I do the new posts thing, too - it works pretty well most of the time!

How about those of you who are being quiet - photographers and non-photo addicts? I know you're out there :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom