Making the Light Monkey 3W Back-up Brighter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just made a new drop in from a deal extreme R5 module. I machined an aluminum spacer at work, and popped it in my scout. It has a bit more flood than the HP Scout module, but appears to be brighter overall.

Jim

I made a module with each R2 and R5 drop-in, and found the same thing. The R5 is brighter, but less focused than the R2 drop in. The "orange peel" reflector will widen and smooth the beam, whereas the "mirror" reflector gives more spot.

Henrik

Technically the R5 shouldn't be brighter but would be bright and have a larger hotspot so quite possibly it may be the best choice for the job (depending on the job of course). The R2 (all other things being equal) should shine a bit further. Which is simply to say that the lux numbers for the Cree XPG-R5 are less than the lux numbers for the XPE-R2. The lumens are higher however.

Hmm ... did you check out this one ? Manufacturer - Light For Me, distributed in US & Canada by TecDiveGear.com. So far unbeatable. Whole "toe to head" machined aluminium body (no plastic heads etc), nice dimensions, powered by 3 "c" batteries with up to 10 hours of burn.
Three models available depends on desired angle of the light beam and lumens output.
Movies with live comparison vs well known Light Monkey and Halcyon models here:
YouTube - LED Back Up TEC vs LED Halcyon SCOUT at pool

Hmm ... did you check out this one ? Manufacturer - Light For Me, distributed in US & Canada by TecDiveGear.com. So far unbeatable. Whole "toe to head" machined aluminium body (no plastic heads etc), nice dimensions, powered by 3 "c" batteries with up to 10 hours of burn.
Three models available depends on desired angle of the light beam and lumens output.
Movies with live comparison vs well known Light Monkey and Halcyon models here:
YouTube - LED Back Up TEC vs LED Halcyon SCOUT at pool

I had never even heard of them until just now. What is the R14 size battery, I have not seen them at the local mart.

I had never even heard of them until just now. What is the R14 size battery, I have not seen them at the local mart.

R14 is C size battery.

Anything special about it vs. a regular C battery?

Hi there,
no, its just like everything else between Europe and Americas measuring system and names. Just different symbol for exact same batteries. I do have two of Back Up's TEC and using higher shelve alkaline batteries (weird but seems to give even little bit more light then using cheap ones :)
Light worth the money, 380 lumen, if you're ok with little bit wider light beam go for 3XPG back up same manufacturer with incredible 1000 lumen output. Sold in US by TecDiveGear.com

Enjoy the weekend !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom