Making the Light Monkey 3W Back-up Brighter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FireInMyBones

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have done a short search on the forums and perhaps I am not the best with the search feature yet, but I am looking for a way to modify my Light Monkey 3W Back-up light to make it brighter. I am sure that this will mean a new LED and board, but I have no experience in such matters. If this would not be an easy fix, is an aftermarket upgrade available?

Why? They are plenty bright (and backups). Only thing I've seen brighter are the new Halcyon Scouts.

My Intova 4.7W is brighter, but I do not like the switch. When I go somewhere that is dark, I want to know that I have plenty of light.

(I couldn't post the pictures)

Tags: diy
I have a good number of old SL4s and wanted to convert these to LED. Following the instructions from ScubaBoard and South West Mafia prove quite successful.

Order CREE 2 drop in module.
Cree R2 Drop-In 1-Mode LED Module (3.7V~18V / 26.5mm x 29mm). Item# 11836
Wait… shipping’s from HK.
Make a spacer
Match the thickness of the body of the SL4 – OD 33mm, ID 26mm, Depth 6mm
Or do not make a spacer and twist the copper wire appropriately.
Install batteries backwards, reversing polarity.
Enjoy

Hmmm, I switched to a 21W HID primary from a 10W HID because it is better for signalling in the daytime when it is light out. In dark areas, either light is fine. I do prefer the tighter beam of the 21 W but less light works fine in the dark.

Are you using your light as a primary?

Not unless my true primary fails. :wink:

I have a LM 12W LED Primary.

In the DIY section there are a couple of threads on using DealExtreme.com LED modules to upgrade Scouts, LM (the 3 x C-cell ones) and UK SL4 lights. I have a couple I use in an old Scout light. Works well. It being a cheap Chinese LED module, I might be a tad concerned using it in deep cave penetrations etc.

edit: what evad said. I used 1" PVC pipe and brass washers to make the spacers. Press fit them onto the LED module using my drill press. It took some drilling and filing to make the hole in the brass washers fit the module, but it works well ... so far :)

Henrik

I recently ordered 3 of them for $7.40 each. I like the price and the flashlight-nuts, er... afficionados, seem to think that they're well constructed.

I think I may try asking LM if they plan on offering a higher output LED as well as look at the LEDs mentioned above.

I just made a new drop in from a deal extreme R5 module. I machined an aluminum spacer at work, and popped it in my scout. It has a bit more flood than the HP Scout module, but appears to be brighter overall.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom