Making the Jump to a DSLR: D40-What do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MacYankee86

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey Guys
I have been using a Canon SD500 w/ a SeaLife Digital Strobe for the past 3 years. I have taken a few (like 3 or 4) really good photos, but find myself wanting more. I have been looking at a DSLR and was wondering what you guys think of starting with a Ikelite housed D40?
Is this too basic?
Should I buy something better, like a D80?
Has anyone used a housed D40?

I know a bit about cameras and have had a little experience with my folk's old film SLR before they sold it. The D40 just seems like a great price, size, and balance of features.
Thanks for the help!
Gordon

With housing costing quite a bit more than the camera, I would move up to a D200. I'm not a Nikon guy though and I'm sure you'll get a lot more advice. One thing though, buy the best strobe(s) you can afford. Not only will they produce better results, they will last through your camera evolutions.

What is it about the pictures you've taken that you don't like? While equipment does have an effect on pictures, my belief is that the most important piece of equipment is the eye behind the lens!

I've seen some wonderful pictures taken with pretty "low end" cameras. I've also seen some pretty mundane pictures taken with high end ones.

Before spending the money (and taking the time to learn) you might want to diagnose what is wrong with your current photographic endeavors and then decide, is it the equipment or the operator?

If you've already decided on dSLR and are considering the D40 vs. D80, I would go with the D80. It's definitely a more advanced camera and it's something that sounds like you could grow into. The D40 appears to only have one command dial, which I'm guessing means you'll need to use multiple controls to control both the shutter speed and aperature. With the amount of changes I make to the settings, that alone would drive me crazy.

I use an Ikelite housed D200 and I love it. Before this one, I used an Ikelite housed D100.

Vetween the D40 and D80, the D80 will be easier to use in a housing.

But more importantly -- what don't you like about your photos. If it's truly a technical problem that will be solved by moving to a DSLR, then great. But moving to a DSLR actually restricts your options in many ways.

For instance, you can use better, sharper lenses -- but they cost a lot more and you may not have the versatility (zoom range) that you get with a P&S.

Also, you have more lighting options with a DSLR. But more options means more work. And more money. And more weight.

A good underwater P&S can be had for <$1000 and weighs about 5 lbs. My D200 with lenses, strobes, ports, housing, etc. cost nearly $10K and weighs over 30 lbs. That's 30 lbs I have to carry through every airport, onto every plane, onto every shuttle bus, and onto every dive boat. It's also a lot of weight and bulk I have to contend with in a current. A housed DSLR with twin strobes is a PITA in a strong current!

As mentioned above, i have not heard great reviews of the D40 housings. It is an entry level DSLR which will take good pictures, but from what I've read, it will not be well supported by housing manufacters and those that so, such as Sea & Sea, have not done a great job.

On the other hand, the D80 has great reviews, is only a little more price wise (in total U/W DSLR terms) has many more capabilities vs the D40 and is better supported.

I shoot a D200 which is similar to the D80, biggerst difference is even better housing manufacter support ( I have a Sea & Sea DX200 and love it) and is more durable and weather sealed. This may matter if you shoot alot topside in rugged conditions.

In the end, you will find that the jump to a good DSLR will open up a new world of U/W photography, but the comitment money wise is not to be taken lightly. I easily have more than $12K invested. As noted above, travel is much more difficult, but for me, it's well worth is when I get that great shot that just wouldn't be as good with a lesser quality point & shoot.

I did use a Point and Shoot camera for about 3 years and over a hundred dives. My skill outgrew that equipment, my photos are now of a much higher quality than what I managed with the point and shoot.

A final point, if you decide to jump and get the DSLR, get the system that will grow with you. Once you invest in a camera brand, and buy the lenses, it becomes very expensive to back. Same thing with housing and ports.

Take care,
john

Check out the thread titled "D40x". It is a lot of the same discussion. I wouldn't buy a D40 or D40x as I posted in the other thread. The lenses are too limited. Go for the D80.

David

If you aren't locked in to Nikon (like you already have a range of lenses), you might want to consider some of the Canon offerings such as the 20D or the 5D or the Rebel 400, too. Just more options so you can find the one that suits you the best.

Getting into slr is a very expensive proposition so be aware of all the costs before you commit. It's great fun, though :wink:

There are a ton of good compact digital choices that will allow you to grow as a photographer, too, if you are looking for something smaller and instantly versatile.

Thanks for the advice so far! You guys have given me a few things to think about.

A few more details:
The Canon SD500 has very little in the way of manual controls. It makes an excellent P&S and the pictures are wonderful, but in the underwater world of funky light, fast moving fish, and drifting with currents, it can be quite photo challenged.

I am looking for something faster with more manual controls. I was thinking that making the jump to DSLR would be wiser than trying to find a P&S with more manual controls.

Right now (because I am in college) my dad and I only go diving for a week (spring break, etc...) once or twice a year. In past years we have been to the FL Keys and have really enjoyed it. We are hoping to get to a Carribean destination within the next two years. I do a little diving during the summer as I live on a rather large lake in NH. So I do not need the best and greatest setup, nor do I have the money to afford it! I would simply like something that is an upgrade from my canon and that I could expand my skills with the new camera. That is why the D40 seemed to make a lot of sense.

Again, thanks for the help!
Gordon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom