making a single tank adaptor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I made a second a few weeks ago. Find some 8-inch pvc pipe. Use a jig saw to cut a section from the pipe. I cut mine to be shaped in an hour-glass configuration to reduce weight.

The pipe is very strong. You only need a width of pipe of maybe 5-6 inches max to "cup" the tank. I drilled two holes along the centerline that match the wing and backplate.

I bolted it to the backplate sandwiching the wing in between on a somewhat permananet configuration. The pipe wall is thick enough to allow you to coutersink the bolt heads..I used bolts with very wide flat heads from the hardware store. I also used some Corning 5200 adhesive to make the contact area between the STA and the tank, less slippery. Just put some dabs of material, here and there. Pretty simple.

If you do not have 8-inch dimater pipe, you could use 6 inch probably, cut a section and then if it is too tight to cup the tank, put the pipe in the oven at 325 for 6 minutes and until it gets soft, then using gloves remove it, lay a tank down, place a towel over the tank, and then lay the pipe over it and press on the pipe as it cools so it conforms to the tank diameter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom