Making a living as an Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

although I did it the other way around, which greatly delayed my enjoyment of diving. I figure that if I spent the same amount of time doing more of my day job as I do teaching, and was paid accordingly, I could give up my shop and gear discounts, free air fills, free gear service, tax losses, etc., and have a lot of $ left over. On the other hand, I'd rather be spending that time under water than in the clinic...

I was intoduced a guy in town who used to go to Cozumel for 3 months at a time to work as a freelance Dive Master.

Got $10 a head for each diver on the boat plus tips. So..Morning dive 5-8 divers , afternoon dive,5-8 divers,night dive 5-8 divers. You get the drift.

He lived in a hotel while he was there.

There is often not too much work if you are land locked but think about what Drew and the others have said.

Ron

For the most part I think Instructors all get paid about the same regardless of where you live. Although the pay is closer to the $80.00 to $100.00 range at my shop for Open Water students.

I live next to a 1250 mile shoreline lake. This lake has quite a few marinas and docks on it. The docks are in constant need of servicing. Enter into the picture a scuba diver that finds ANY dive a great dive. The result is a very profitable day. Next week we bring up a sunk speed boat from the bottom of a neighboring lake that brings up that days wages five fold. On the average we bring up around fifteen boats per year.

I'm sorry if I've given the impression that Scuba Instructors made big bucks off of classes. But then again, if you are an Instructor you already know that it's more of a passion then a money thing anyway.

My shop is 10,000 sq. ft.. with our own indoor heated pool. The shop we're very proud of, the lake is where the money is at. Time to turn in, another dock is on the schedule tomorrow.

I hope you realize that working on docks and salvaging sunken boats are commercial jobs and really call for commercial skills, equipment and procedures.

I am not saying that it can't be done with scuba or by scuba divers but it is risky.
One really big risk is financial. What happens if someone is hurt and sues, or their family sues? If you are not using the proper setup according to the OSHA regs, etc., then you will likely get hammered by the lawyers.

Do what you will, but KNOW WHAT YOU DO!

Back
Top Bottom