Making a living as an Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aujax

Reaction score
Has anyone here worked as an instructor and made a living at it? I'm considering doing the training. I know that divemasters don't really make enough money to get by (let me know if I'm wrong) and that instructors don't make much at all, but is it really that bad (i've read that a lot of resorts take care of your lodging for you)? And how hard is it to find a job as an instructor - I've been looking at Pro Dive in Ft. Lauderdale and they pledge to find you a job after training. I think I would eventually like to open a dive shop or run a charter, so I'd have that in mind. Any advice?

-Aubrey

The only way you can make a living as an instructor is if you lived down south or lived on a liveaboard. I used to work for Blackbeards and the pay was minimum but they paid for lodging and food and gave you insurance plus about 8 weeks paid vacation a yr. That was back in 1997 though. I never made that much money teaching for a shop or on my own. I own a diveshop now and tried to pay instructors 50 bucks a head for the class and 50 bucks a head for the certification but that wasn't enough for them apparently. The norm. pay is around 50 bucks a head for both the cert. and the classroom.

Send me a Private Message if I can help you out in anyway. I've got contacts all over the country.

as just a regular sport diver with a dull desk job all i can say is go go for it!

No. It isn't a continuous vacation.

To actually make a living diving, you probably need to seriously consider moving to a dive destination. Evaluate all offers and don't feel that you need to jump at the first offer you get.

Pro Dive can get you through the instructor training quickly. You can get the same training elsewhere cheaper, but it will probably take more time. It's your call.

I didn't go through Pro Dive, but others working in my shop did. I found my job by emailing my resume all around the globe and being flexible in my ultimate destination. It took one night of emailing to get several responses. I was on island working about six weeks later.

depends entirely upon where you choose to live. East End isn't too bad. More costly on the west side.

The Cayman Islands do not impose an income tax. Once certain conditions are met (length of residency overseas), US citizens may not owe any income tax to the US on earnings in Cayman.

When all the numbers are added up, I pocket about $30,000USD per year. I live on my own in a two bedroom apartment on the north shore of Grand Cayman. I drive a beat up "island car" adn generally enjoy what I do every day.

I know certain things will cost much, much more in Cayman, and there are a few things you just can't find (like burst discs for an OMS manifold!), but most things are available at a slightly elevated cost.

Approx Cayman Prices (in US $):
Gallon of milk $5.50
Gallon of gas $3.50
Head of lettuce $1.25
Dozen eggs $1.29
Coconuts FREE - go pick one up in your yard
Pound of chicken breasts $3.50
Burger King Whopper value meal $6.00
Trip to world class diving $2.00 for gas round trip

newdiverAZ once bubbled...
and what's the cost of living like in Cayman?

And don't forget the highest point on G. Cayman is the speed bump.

I dont know your situation (age, current earnings, lifestyle, etc...), but when I was younger (24), I had the chance to pursue the "professional diving" as a career, and lifestyle, and chose other paths. Not that I am not happy with chosen path, as I earned a degree in engineering and make a good salary, however, I always wondered what it would have been like if I had of chosen my heart (professional diving). I still consider the possibility, but its much harder for me now for many reasons, but still possible, as I always have a choice.

My advice from experience, dont worry about the money right now, go out and make your way in the world as a dive professional (whatever road you choose), and enjoy the lifestyle for a while. My job has great benefits, but none compared to being outside in a tropical arena, waking up each day to preparing for the days diving business, being of service to happy people (generally speaking of course), living near the ocean, and enjoying life. You cant put a price tag on that.

I have had the opportunity to experience the world (Europe, Mexico, and Japan), and any chance you get, take advantage of it, and experience the world. You will be a better person for it. Diving opens these doors.

Live a simple life, follow your heart, and go for it!!!!!

Clyde=-)

And don't forget that the most dangerous thing to do in Grand Cayman is to get drunk and try to cross the road.

I spent a winter working a live-a-board and teaching diving in the Bahamas. It was the best winter of my life. The pay was not grand -- $400 a week plus room, board and tips. But I would not trade that winter for anything else I've ever done.

Will you get rich? No! But you can get by and the experience is one that will stay with you your entire life.

In the end, it all depends on what you want. If you need a Porche in the driveway, forget it. If you just need a place to sleep, food on the table and adventure... go for it.

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...

And don't forget the highest point on G. Cayman is the speed bump.

I live within a few hundred yards of the highest point on Grand Cayman. I lived here for several months before I found out that I live next to "The Mountain." No joke. It's on the map and its all of 62ft above sea level.

Back
Top Bottom