Make me a Phuket itinerary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

resnick

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm going to a conference in Singapore that ends on Friday November 17 and heading to Phuket. I can definitely get to Phuket in the afternoon of the 17th, perhaps earlier, and my (non-diver) sweetie isn't arriving until later on Sunday November 19, so I've got 2, perhaps 3, days of diving to squeeze in. The Giamani was looking like it was going to be perfect, leaving Friday night, two days and seven dives at Hin Daeng, Hin Muang, and Phi Phi, and then back on Monday PM, but alas that trip appears to be full. :cry: I'm willing to do land-based or very short liveaboard. Suggestions?

StevenL should pop in shortly - I've used his services many times - with some more specifics. I personally prefer Ao Nang/Krabi which you can easily get to with the local ferry - same "standard offer" dive sites like Phi Phi, three dive "super Day" - Wreck of the king cruiser, Anenome Reef or Koh Doc Mai and Shark Point - plus the "local islands" like Bida Nok.

Ao Nang has a great vibe much more laid back than Phuket but if you're into nightlife and ladyboys the Bangla Road freak show is entertaining ...once...

If you do decide on checking out Ao Nang contact Dan at Poseidon Dive Centre as he does Hin Daeng and Hin Muang periodically.

Last edited:
Krabi sounds lovely, but getting to Phuket is a bit easier. And we're not likely to stay near Patong; I think a quiet resort near a beach is more our speed. :) I appreciate the recommendation though.

If you're looking for a special hotel take a look at Sawasdee Baray Village in Kata - not on the beach, just a few minutes walked away, tucked away and very quiet and opulent - also closer to the pier at Chalong where most of the boats will leave from.

Enjoy :)

Yes, Giamani is fully booked that trip.

But I'd be happy to help you with daytrips. If you got Saturday 18 and Sunday 19 for diving I would say go to King Cruiser-Shark Point on the Saturday, and do Phi Phi on the Sunday, both trips with 3 dives. If you can come to Phuket earlier on the Friday you could add an extra day, Racha Noi/Yai seems the logical choice, also with 3 dives. You could even do a daytrip to Similans on either the Saturday or Sunday.

Regarding a short liveaboard, you could go for 2 days/1 night to Similans and Koh Bon, departure on Saturday early morninhg, return Sunday early evening.

And yes, I would also recommend a stay in Kata, or maybe even Nai Harn, both nice beaches close to Chalong from where the boats depart, but not overly busy. Where are you going to stay with your sweetheart?

Yes, Giamani is fully booked that trip.

But I'd be happy to help you with daytrips. If you got Saturday 18 and Sunday 19 for diving I would say go to King Cruiser-Shark Point on the Saturday, and do Phi Phi on the Sunday, both trips with 3 dives. If you can come to Phuket earlier on the Friday you could add an extra day, Racha Noi/Yai seems the logical choice, also with 3 dives. You could even do a daytrip to Similans on either the Saturday or Sunday.

Regarding a short liveaboard, you could go for 2 days/1 night to Similans and Koh Bon, departure on Saturday early morninhg, return Sunday early evening.

Decisions, decisions. Colorful coral, critters, and fishies are more important to me than big things. Does that lean one way or the other as to where to go? I also saw that the Oktavia also does a similar schedule to Giamani; any thoughts on that?

And yes, I would also recommend a stay in Kata, or maybe even Nai Harn, both nice beaches close to Chalong from where the boats depart, but not overly busy. Where are you going to stay with your sweetheart?

As yet undecided. I need to ask her whether she's interested in being close enough to Patong or other sites so it's not so far to go into town one evening, or stay further up in a quieter area.

Oktavia has a trip option with departure 17th evening and return 19th for 2 days Similans, so that would be an option. But with different destinations from the Giamani itinerary. Personally I think the daytrips offer better value and better diving than short liveaboards to Similans only.

Sea Bee diving used to run a 4-tank boat out toward Koh Phi Phi. Morning departure with late morning dive (part way out), lunch, two afternoon dives, dinner, and then twilight/night dive (part way home). Nice big boat, which they owned (better than outsourcing/booking that most ops have to do). If you have a short stay, this is the way to get more dives done.

Diving in Thailand | Book Scuba Dive Tours & Holidays in Thailand

Ah, that 4-tank trip looks great, but it looks like they only run it on Sunday. If it were Saturday, it would be perfect.

So, what are my "must see" sites if I go for 2 daytrip days?

Ah, that 4-tank trip looks great, but it looks like they only run it on Sunday. If it were Saturday, it would be perfect.

So, what are my "must see" sites if I go for 2 daytrip days?
I already answered your question about the best sites: do King Cruiser and Phi Phi.

And yes, the 4 dives trip is nice, but it is a lot of diving on one day when you count the hotel transfers and divesite changes in as well. As to better to own, I beg to differ on that, but that may be for a different thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom