Makaha from shore with scooters!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VBlueV

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
thanks to kidspot (tim) for bringing scooters to makaha..
(this dive is normally done from a charter boat)
so.. made getting to the caverns from shore sooooo much easier!
besides.. there's tons to see on the way..

first and foremost.. the giant TCS (turtle cleaning station)..
which sits boldy above the very live reef.. half-way to the caverns..

mk_tcs.jpg

actually seen as many as a dozen turtles hovering over this bus-sized rock..
in addition.. another dozen or more honu foraging around cauliflower coral heads all along the way..

mk_turtle2.jpg

these bright fuchsia flatworms stood out like a sore thumb on the chalky yellows and grays of the coral..

mk_fucia2.jpg

mk_fucia1.jpg

then found one set of imperials..

mk_imperial.jpg

and a cluster of spanish dancer eggs..

mk_sp_dancer_eggs.jpg

also.. these eggs? look like mother of pearl? can anyone help with I.D.?

mk_m_pearl.jpg

under a ledge.. this bland titan scorpion.. can YOU see it?

mk_titan1.jpg

had to make it move so tim would believe it wasn't just a rock =)

mk_titan2.jpg

at last.. arrived the caverns.. here's a cool skylight shot..

mk_skylight.jpg

the main cavern..

mk_cavern1.jpg

and tim.. sporting the superman scooter configuration =D

mk_tim_s_man.jpg

deep in the caverns.. hawaiian lobsters with their bright lime-green needles..

mk_lobster2.jpg

and in the waaaay back.. flame-back shrimp..

mk_flame.jpg

tim was obsessed with these urchins.. tho' they're rather common-place on oahu..

mk_urchin1.jpg

finally.. on the way back.. a large grape-fruit sized anemone crab..

mk_anemone_crab.jpg

thanks for playin'..

Hi VBlueV-

Nice pics. Your egg case belonged to a mollusc. Without knowing where it was found (forereef, slope, etc.), I'd say it was probably a species of cone snail. I know for a fact that C. imperialis is laying eggs right now, so this is a good candidate.

'twas a fun dive ... and I was obsessed with more than that urchin ... it was ALL urchins :wink: That was the only one I missed getting a pic of though - lol.

lesse ... urchins:

mc1.jpg

and one blurry one that was close to the rough spined I was "obsessing" over (what can I say - I needed it to finish off my photo collection for the day)
mc2.jpg

I've never seen so many Blue Dragon Nudis either - guess they are really common here:
mc3.jpg

several fucia flatworms
mc4.jpg

as well as a nice little tiger flatworm
mc5.jpg

a cool little spiny urchin
mc6.jpg

and a nice sea star
mc7.jpg

Overall, this is one incredible dive site that I'd love to explore more.

Aloha, Tim

Wow! Very cool critter count. Those flatworms are awesome. I can't wait to see them when I get there next week. One of the best shots of a scorpionfish I've ever seen - most shots are shadowed from distanced strobes helping the viewer, but that shot made it look so well painted into the background - makes you think twice about kneeling into what you think is dead coral to steady a shot.

Nice Blue Dragon Nudis - never knew they were there.

Quick question - can you slightly touch an urchin spine, or will it envenomate even upon the slightest touch? (like if I wanted to roll one over to see its underside)

...Quick question - can you slightly touch an urchin spine, or will it envenomate even upon the slightest touch? (like if I wanted to roll one over to see its underside)

yes and no ... if you handle them VERY carefully you can even pick up the banded urchins (the ones with the 4" spines) ... HOWEVER ... it is very easy to get stabbed by them. The spines will easily go right thru gloves.

If you attempt to pick them up there are 2 methods I've seen. Use a stick, rock or your spg to "swoosh" the urchin up into the water column, then catch it on your finger tips by it's mouth area (the very short stubby spines on the bottom side) method 2 you VERY gently place your hands around the urchin, cradling it gently with as many of the longest spines making contact with your hands, slowly lift up and then, as in method 1, catch it on your fingertips around the mouth area.

fair warning - you WILL get stabbed by them eventually, and usually the first few times you may well end up with several spines embedded into your fingers and hands. When you get stabbed clean the area with soap and water or rubbing alcohol and then soak in water as hot as you can stand to neutralize the venom (I believe I read this takes about 30 minutes) and don't blame anyone but yourself for playing with them :wink:

Aloha, Tim

hey "Z"..
thanks for the I.D... Conus Imperialis..
the eggs were in the middle/on-top of the reef between some large rocks.
i've found empties at Lanai Lookout.. very cool cone shells!
tho' realized later.. "conus are venemous"! yikes!

tim..
sorry for the late post.. (but the next day.. saw 7 x hammerheads.. priorities =)
nice urchin collection btw..
here's another shot of that "Thomas' Urchin"..
mk_urchin2.jpg

and yeah.. those "Rough Spined Urchin" are all over within the caverns at Sharks Cove too!
Keoki has a cool I.D. site.. for local Urchins and everything else..
Sea Urchins

Blaze..
thanks..
checking again.. on Keoki's site..
Family Scorpaenidae, Scorpionfishes, Lionfishes, Stonefishes
might actually be a "Devil Scorpion" ("tan color and shorter snout")
pro'ly why it appeared "bland"..
vice the other "Titans" i've seen which are more "reddish/orange with longer snout".
cheers..

I'm always a day off on the big critter sightings it seems - lol still a fun dive. And thanks for the I.D. on the Thomas - I had always gotten them confused with the little 10 lined which I've seen frequently in the past.

Till our next dive,

Aloha

Great shots guys...... I love the skylight shot Vblue! So, I have had varied success getting the spiny urchins up but as Tim mentioned earlier you can pinch one spine and one spine only and gently move it up to your other hand. I liken it to the guys who can like down on a bed of nails..... is you spread out the weight, each spine displaces and equal amount of pressure. However, I am not without a few finger tattoos after 4 years out here.

Cheers guys.....

G

I think you were right the first time; Titan Scorpionfish. When they are in their home hunting turf they blend very well, and if the surrounding is tan then they are tan. There is also a certain pattern to our Titans. Devils are ugly in comparison, with very drab coloring and very little (if any) pattern.

Somewhere Near the Drop Zone​

When you catch them away from their normal turf they do stand out, and I think they can turn up the saturation when annoyed.

Outside Shark's Cove​

halemano..
thanks for the further insight into the differences between the titan and devil scorpions..

however, still not convinced it's definitively a titan..
the scorpion at makaha doesn't have the taller dorsals.. but rather a more "drab" hump.

unlike the ones we've both seen at sharks cove..
like this one.. (and the ones you posted above)
which do have taller brighter dorsals..
rockscorpion11.jpg

maybe keoki will chime in..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom