Major Industry Change re: Online Scuba Sales....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"It's about selling gear. Selling gear in higher volumes than ever imagined."

That MAY be where it ends up, but the smart marketer will not predetermine what the solution is. They will define a broader, larger version of success and then let the strategy be what it needs to be.

If you say it's about selling gear in high volumes, you are doomed to needing to be succesful in doing that, and are de-facto opting for a low-margin, price-sensitive market. And you might be successful, but you may end up doing a lot more work than you need to. Or a lot different work than you need to.

If instead you say it's about "maximizing profit" by selling gear, or that it's about making $1MM a year selling gear, etc you are much better off. Once you say it's about volume alone, you're dead. Why, because you've removed the ability to vary volume assumptions based on marketplace conditions. As a marketer you now have fewer tools. Saying it's about volume means saying this is a commodity market. For the e-tailer that makes price the thing, it's really nothing more than a "murder-suicide" strategy.

Suppose you set the "make $1MM a year selling gear" as your goal, and you can somehow figure out how to get the Sultan of Brunei to pay you $1MM for an OW course and one full kit of the perfect gear. Is that any less successfull than selling a million regs at a $1 profit/per unit? Point of fact you may likely be much MORE succesful if you look at net profit. (OK - it's a metaphor; please don't start telling me about costs associated with flying to Brunei and out-of-pocket costs associated with vestal virgins!)

Rolex and Timex have both decided to make money selling watches. Timex probably sells one hundred times the volume of Rolex, but Rolex makes more money both gross and net.

One followed the strategy of "selling watches at a higher volume than ever imagined" while the other one is following a strategy of "maximize profits by selling watches." Which one is more successful?

Timex prices have declined or stayed flat for last two decades.

Rolex raises their price 10-15% a year, every year, no matter what.

Rolex sells just about every watch they can make, every year. Year in, year out.

Rolex vigorously controls MSRP, MAP, dealer advertising, minimum sales volume commitments, doesn't allow web sales, denies warranty service if you look at them cross-eyed, doesn't allow more than nominal discounting and does just about anything else that you could ever say is "wrong" with how many scuba manufacturers currently operate.

Not saying that means scuba should do the same. Just saying that it can be done, and it can be done profitably.

Saying "embrace the web" is not the sign of a visionary when what the person saying it means "this is a new and different and unique and never before seen tool that will allow us to do unimaginable things - let's use it to do the same old thing."

RJPTimex prices have declined or stayed flat for last two decades. Rolex raises their price 10-15% a year:
Rolex is a very special brand name. It is the Ferrari of watches. Although a couple manufactrurers may incorrectly think otherwise, I don't think there are any Ferrari's hiding in LDS's.

RJP:
That MAY be where it ends up, but the smart marketer will not predetermine what the solution is. They will define a broader, larger version of success and then let the strategy be what it needs to be.

If you say it's about selling gear in high volumes, you are doomed to needing to be succesful in doing that, and are de-facto opting for a low-margin, price-sensitive market. And you might be successful, but you may end up doing a lot more work than you need to. Or a lot different work than you need to.

Just a few points, not so much to contest what you said but to suggest you're telling it to the wrong people.

You are never doomed if you are determined and willing to adapt. It's not the Phil's of the world that have pre-determined the solution, it's the LDS who has decided the old model is going to be made to work come hell or high water. It's the LDS who is unwilling to compete on price, resists rather than embraces new market forces, and insists on using yesterday's model in tomorrow's world that is doomed. The online vendors, for the most part, were born because their founders were willing to be flexible and adapt to the situation.

The Rolex/Timex example is not really comparable. They do not sell the same product. While they both tell time, a Rolex is a piece of jewelry, a Timex is an electronic device. They do not target the same customer. Timex does not say Rolex customers are foolish and frivolous, Rolex does not say Timex customers are cheapskates.

In the dive industry, the online retailer and LDS are selling the same product to the same customer. If an LDS wants to target the well-heeled and celebrities, fine. They need to find the appropriate customer base, not get mad and pout because they cannot sell their Rolex service to a Timex customer.

ReefHound:
In the dive industry, the online retailer and LDS are selling the same product to the same customer. If an LDS wants to target the well-heeled and celebrities, fine. They need to find the appropriate customer base, not get mad and pout because they cannot sell their Rolex service to a Timex customer.

What he said! Well, I am leaving for the airport to go to DEMA. I have a couple of speaking appearances to make. This is going to be the "change your business model" DEMA show. I never claimed that the internet is the solution for everyone. I just claimed it is the only one I know. I DO KNOW what the solution IS NOT......doing the same old thing, producing poorer and poorer results each year, hoping it will eventually get better.

Phil Ellis

I just have this image of three cavemen sitting around a fire:

Caveman 1 invents the wheel and proudly shows it to Caveman 2.

Caveman 2 thinks "ugh, good idea" and picks it up and uses it to club Cavemen 1 to death.

Caveman 3 thinks "these guys are really onto something" picks up the wheel, clubs Caveman number 2 to death with it, then turns it on it's side and uses it to escape.

Caveman 1 evolved.

Caveman 2 adapted.

Caveman 3? He's the visionary.

Ok,Ok, I'm all ears. Tell me how this virtual dive shop works. They sell everything from tanks to whistles to their customers on line. Great. They have never met and as such the Customer decides what he is buying with or without advise or guidance, allthough he gets tons of information and opinion from the web which may help him make a wise purchase, or not. Now the tank arrives on my doorstep......is it what I ordered and appropriate for my diving? I go to the firehall to get it filled? Get it inspected by a fire extinguisher outfit? Where do I train? I agree we don't need LDS's for gear purchases, but without a dive shop do I train on line? Can we get our regs serviced on line? Granted there will be experienced divers capable of doing their own service but most of us can't. Anyway, I'm interested in becoming a diver and I have a good budget for training and equipment. What's the first thing I should do, who should I contact. Thanks in advance for your help.

ReefHound:
The Rolex/Timex example is not really comparable. They do not sell the same product. While they both tell time, a Rolex is a piece of jewelry, a Timex is an electronic device. They do not target the same customer. Timex does not say Rolex customers are foolish and frivolous, Rolex does not say Timex customers are cheapskates.

In the dive industry, the online retailer and LDS are selling the same product to the same customer.

That's the biggest fallacy out there. It's a faulty premise. The industry has decided that the defining characteristic of the audience is that they dive.

That would be as if Rolex and Timex both said "our customers are people that need to know what time it is" or Mercedes and Subaru both said "our customers are people that need to drive to work."

Rolex was smart enough to determine that they COULD sell a different product to a specific, identifiable segment of the larger customer population, in doing so they were able to refine a strong, sustainable positioning that is virtually impervious to price elasticity and in fact most other outside forces.

Don't get fooled by the invariable "cost/class" aspect of the Rolex example, or the Starbucks example, or the Neiman Marcus example. Price is a red herring.

All of the GREAT examples of GREAT MARKETING involve products that are higher priced than their competition. But that's not because they have decided that they should sell a high-priced, luxury item. It's because they have been smart marketers, and accordingly they are able to command a higher price than their competition.

Does that mean that WalMart is dumb for competing on price? Of course not, but they have made a conscious decision to fight it out for 2-3% margin on every sale of every roll of toilet paper every day. And they have to get bigger and bigger, and drive costs lower and lower. And they can't stop.

Why? Because they have created a customer base that they have trained to look for the best price possible. They now are in the position that they cannot ever achieve "brand loyalty", because their best customers are BY DEFINITION price-sensitive, so by definition they are NOT brand-loyal.

mexken:
What's the first thing I should do, who should I contact. Thanks in advance for your help.

Look over your shoulder...

That's Phil Ellis about to club you over the head with a wheel made out of stone.

Don't worry though, problem for Phil is he's Caveman #2.

mexken:
Ok,Ok, I'm all ears. Tell me how this virtual dive shop works.It's not just "virtual, it is also a real live LDS. They sell everything from tanks to whistles to their customers on line.and in store at the same prices, local divers know this so come to them Great. They have never met and as such the Customer decides what he is buying with or without advise or guidance, allthough he gets tons of information and opinion from the web which may help him make a wise purchase, or not. Now the tank arrives on my doorstep......is it what I ordered and appropriate for my diving?It is if their initial instructror trained them well.... I go to the firehall to get it filled?worst argument you can use, where there is diving there will be a place to get tanks filled Get it inspected by a fire extinguisher outfit? why not many do now and many LDS send the tanks to the local fire guy for hydros nowWhere do I train?with the LDS or independant instructor of your choice I agree we don't need LDS's for gear purchases, but without a dive shop do I train on line?In a couple years all the agencies will be doing online acedemics, bank on that Can we get our regs serviced on line?Sure, you can now at many many places, order the service they send youa prepaid box, drop the reg in and the fedex/ups guy picks it up and returns it to you in a week or so Granted there will be experienced divers capable of doing their own service but most of us can't. Anyway, I'm interested in becoming a diver and I have a good budget for training and equipment. What's the first thing I should do, who should I contact. In a very short while you will jump online, pick from what agency you want to train with do the acedemics, they will then guide to to a instructor close to you or where you plan to do your diving...Thanks in advance for your help.

My comments in red, Lets turn this around, what is about the tradional dive business model that you feel meets current consumers needs and expectations so well that change isn't needed?

cerich:
My comments in red, Lets turn this around, what is about the traditional dive business model that you feel meets current consumers needs and expectations so well that change isn't needed?

By the way, I wish the business model didn't need changing, I wish everything was working and we in the industry weren't facing a crisis, but we are, so now we need to turn crisis into opportunity by being proactive.

A great starting point for any business is learning the needs and expectations of the proposed cust. base and meeting them or the truly innovative actually come up with something new that creates a need in the target cust., regardless you still need to know and understand your consumer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom