Magnum Vs. Blizzard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the McMaster info. I've contacted the folks at the website you directed me to earlier for the diagram and they have been so helpful so far. I think I'm going to send my regulator to them and have them put it back together. When I get it back I'm going to use it as a 'Hooka' rig regulator. Thanks again. Karen

I have a newbie question. What is a heat exchanger and can a regulator be retrofitted to have one if needed? The regulator I use becomes very touchy in colder water. It can free flow when it is really cold. I am planning on diving Superior and I want to have a regulator and Octo that won't free flow at depth. Any thoughts?

If your reg is touchy in cold water, I would consider looking for a new reg or having the old one serviced. The heat exchanger in the Magnum Blizzard is a set of fins in the second stage that your exhaled air passes over. The inhaled air then passes over the same fins and the theory is that they will transfer heat. I don't know if it works or not but I can tell you from experience that if you get a free flow at 140' and stick your tongue on the fins, you will freeze the tip of your tongue and it will not stop the free flow! That is one move I will not do again. :no :shakehead::no

If your reg is touchy in cold water, I would consider looking for a new reg or having the old one serviced. The heat exchanger in the Magnum Blizzard is a set of fins in the second stage that your exhaled air passes over. The inhaled air then passes over the same fins and the theory is that they will transfer heat. I don't know if it works or not but I can tell you from experience that if you get a free flow at 140' and stick your tongue on the fins, you will freeze the tip of your tongue and it will not stop the free flow! That is one move I will not do again. :no :shakehead::no

I'm really curious how you recovered from the ol' tongue stuck to the vanes during a free flow at 140'. :11: I'm glad you're still here and you had the coolness (no pun intended) to recover. Where you sticking your tongue to block the air while stopping the freeflow or were you clearing the regulator after having stopped the freeflow? Curious minds want to know (and learn). Thanks

I figured the free flow was from my coughing up water into the 2nd stage. My hope was that the heat from my tongue on the fins would be enough to melt any ice that formed, but it did not work as the temp and volume of air was too much. Trying to flood the 2nd stage didn't work either so I headed for shallower / warmer water and prepared to go to my pony if I ran out of air before I hit the stage bottles. Fortunately, the free flow stopped in shallower water after I got above the thermocline and I was able to do my safety stops on the primary. Taught me a lesson though, to practice a shut down and switch, with my buddy, and to never try the tongue move again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom