Magnifying glasses for macro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, I am not that far gone -- yet. I like the tube that they sell but I don't think I can get it before Friday!

Maybe you can find something like this?
Screenshot_20190825-184843_Chrome.jpg

I am thinking that unless I get something with the air gap between two lenses it's not going to be worth much.
You are exactly right. The way the magnifying lens works depends on the ratio of the refractive index of the lens material (plastic or glass) to the refrative index of the surrounding medium (air or water). glass-to-air is excellent; plastic-to-water is horrible. Glass to water is OK, but much better is the compound magnifier (two lenses with an air gap in-between) so you get glass-to-air magnification, doubled, plus glass-to-water, doubled.

Reefnet makes a smaller uw magnifier, the SubSee, in two different powers, and you can get a handle with it. It is also excellent, but has a smaller viewing window than the big Dutch one. It also costs more.
ReefNet Inc. | SubSee Magnifier and Adapter

You are exactly right. The way the magnifying lens works depends on the ratio of the refractive index of the lens material (plastic or glass) to the refrative index of the surrounding medium (air or water). glass-to-air is excellent; plastic-to-water is horrible. Glass to water is OK, but much better is the compound magnifier (two lenses with an air gap in-between) so you get glass-to-air magnification, doubled, plus glass-to-water, doubled.

Reefnet makes a smaller uw magnifier, the SubSee, in two different powers, and you can get a handle with it. It is also excellent, but has a smaller viewing window than the big Dutch one. It also costs more.
ReefNet Inc. | SubSee Magnifier and Adapter

I use the ReefNet +5 on my Nikon D800 / D850 with great results. Here is a pic take with the SubSea +5 on a 105mm Nikon lens of a Pink Mouth Hydroid inhabited by 1mm Isopod. Super Macro indeed!

Three Tree Point June 15 2019 June 15, 2019 (38 of 59).JPG

I've used two of my magnifying glasses underwater and had more magnification, but yes, not a very user friendly system.

I also have a cheap loupe thingie with two lenses. It does get water inside and then I have to play with the bubble to be able to see what I want. Always meaning to glue the lenses in place when its dry but keep forgetting until I'm at the locale.

Amazon came through again & again. It looks great on dry land, but as Luko says, it might not be magnifying by much underwater, but it’s better than nothing. So, we’ll see in 2 weeks, Bill.

BTW, it ain’t plastic! It’s GLASS!

F74BC200-2084-4F6F-925F-B778DB9170C4.jpeg

Fill your sink and try it. That would be a underwater test.

That’s what I did first thing when I got home. It sucks (sorry to burst your bubble, Bill). But it’s so compact and handy for travel, I’ll have one for my own too, in case I need to read those small prints in the waiver sheet before signing it. :D

Amazon came through again & again. It looks great on dry land, but as Luko says, it might not be magnifying by much underwater, but it’s better than nothing. So, we’ll see in 2 weeks, Bill.

BTW, it ain’t plastic! It’s GLASS!

View attachment 536950

Awesome! That's great!

Back
Top Bottom