Magnifying glasses for macro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe Tang's and sometimes I see this sort of thing in the little hardware like stores. Also, I started out buying mine at a medical supply place until I found the same one in the photography area in a super drugstore.

Normal magnifyers don't work underwater as they work topside because of the water refraction which is different from the air, water acts like an optical device and they'll lose a LOT of their magnifying power
If you want something efficient for small stuff, you'll need to buy a magnifier embedded into a watertight capsule leaving an air gap such as these for instance Home (English) - Diving Magnifying Glass

€119!!!

Where can I buy magnifying glasses so I can finally see these famed mini-sea horses? :shocked:

I bought a regular magnifying glass in a store but it wasn't nearly strong enough.

(Also, I am in Singapore now so if you know the name of a store here that would be even more helpful.)

TIA,

Bill & Emily
Either try specialized underwater camera shops such as Scubacam (Raffles area) or dive shops that provide a good selection of equipment like Gill divers (walking distance from Clarke quay area). Maybe phone them before to check whether they'd have something that fits? I wouldn't rely on normal topside magnifiers

€119!!!
You get what you pay for. Why do you think underwater optics are so expensive, I paid my macro addon wetlens 500€.

What’s the magnification of your magnifying glasses?

I just saw this one, below for travel with 10x magnification in Amazon.com 4 of them for $8.99. I went ahead and bought them. It’ll be delivered to my home by Monday. I’ll give one to you when I see you on the boat in 2 weeks.

View attachment 536554 View attachment 536555

WOW That's REALLY nice of you, Dan! You have renewed my confidence in the human race.

- Bill

WOW That's REALLY nice of you, Dan! You have renewed my confidence in the human race.

- Bill

I fear it is a plastic lens.

You get what you pay for. Why do you think underwater optics are so expensive, I paid my macro addon wetlens 500€.

Only €500? Sounds like a bargain. :D

Let's see:

Above water: Canon 58mm 250D (+4) diopter: $89, ~€80
Below water: Inon UCL-165 M67 (+6) diopter: $165 ~ €150

Ratio: 1/1.9

Above water: Cheap +5 magnifier: ~$10, ~€9
Below water: "Diving Magnifying Glass" (Maybe +4??): €119, ~$130

Ratio: 1/11

Hmmm...

Halo!

full.jpg

Machen sie mit dem purtzen poofen pippen und plastique lensen