Magnifying glasses for macro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
Where can I buy magnifying glasses so I can finally see these famed mini-sea horses? :shocked:

I bought a regular magnifying glass in a store but it wasn't nearly strong enough.

(Also, I am in Singapore now so if you know the name of a store here that would be even more helpful.)

TIA,

Bill & Emily

I use my camera, Bill. Just aim the lens to the little critter, hit micro & magnifying buttons then look into your camera LCD.

LOL...I'm with you. I've looked through magnifiers and I can only see detail if shot and blown up. Otherwise they are just a pink pimple on a certain type of fan. Good luck. :)

What’s the magnification of your magnifying glasses?

I just saw this one, below for travel with 10x magnification in Amazon.com 4 of them for $8.99. I went ahead and bought them. It’ll be delivered to my home by Monday. I’ll give one to you when I see you on the boat in 2 weeks.

53411D54-A167-4E8F-BD28-5107C3568985.jpeg
319F9B61-8D41-45E8-9D4C-56FEFB6CA0B8.jpeg

Normal magnifyers don't work underwater as they work topside because of the water refraction which is different from the air, water acts like an optical device and they'll lose a LOT of their magnifying power
If you want something efficient for small stuff, you'll need to buy a magnifier embedded into a watertight capsule leaving an air gap such as these for instance Home (English) - Diving Magnifying Glass

Best to buy an actual glass magnifier and as much mag as you can get. Perhaps the one you have now has a plastic lens?

Bill, also try Guardian pharmacy stores.

And what part of the city are you in?

Normal magnifyers don't work underwater as they work topside because of the water refraction which is different from the air, water acts like an optical device and they'll lose a LOT of their magnifying power
If you want something efficient for small stuff, you'll need to buy a magnifier embedded into a watertight capsule leaving an air gap such as these for instance Home (English) - Diving Magnifying Glass

Sounds like a winner!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom