Magnifying Glass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chiayx

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys.. i am not sure where to post this.. it's been decades since my last dive, and i will be going for a dive in september 2024.

recently i noticed i cant see as well as i used to. i work as a service technician, once i needed to replace a damaged part of a machine, i cant see the part number no matter how hard i tried, and i cant go any nearer as it is obstructed. my only solution is to take out my mobile phone and take a photo of the part number, and zoom in to read it.

then i recalled many years ago i dived with a group of elderly gentleman from Hong Kong, they each brought a huge magnifying glass and used it to look at nudibranch underwater. i thought it was a great idea.. but it was a long time ago and i am wondering if there is a better solution other than a magnifying glass? i can easily drill a hole and add some harness and secure it to my BCD.

But anyone has a solution for this? other than magnifying glass? if not i will probably drop by a nearby stationary shop and grab a magnifying glass.

Magnifying lenses do not work, unless you have a sandwich of them, with diving liquid between them
how about you take out a mobile phone and take a photo of the little fishes and zoom in to see them

Magnifying lenses do not work, unless you have a sandwich of them, with diving liquid between them
how about you take out a mobile phone and take a photo of the little fishes and zoom in to see them

nice find.. thanks for the link.
yeah probably will be using my mobile phone for it..

Less expensive option:
Underwater Magnifying Glass (@pelan-pelan's comments)
1721119490113.png

Fresnel Lens 4X Magnifier Pocket Wallet Credit Card Size

That looks like the one I have—it came from the Netherlands. Works great for observing tiny critters. A bit too bulky for all-around use, though.

Hi guys.. i am not sure where to post this.. it's been decades since my last dive, and i will be going for a dive in september 2024.
Magnifying glasses aside, do you have any plans to review and brush up on your skills before this first dive in decades?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom