Underwater Magnifying Glass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pelan-pelan

Contributor
Reaction score
Are underwater magnifying glasses any different from ordinary ones? If so, how? And if so, what are the features to look out for when buying one?

I've used a plastic print magnifier quite adequately in the past, but am thinking of getting something better.

Hope someone can help.

The index of refraction is very different for water/glass interface vs air/glass interface so the magnefying properties are not as strong in water. Buy a powerful magnefying glass as big as you are comfortable with or assemble one yourself with air between the glasses for better results.

I switched to one of these: Onderwaterloep voor duikers. Absolutely fantastic. Considerably better magnification than a simple "wet" lens.

I gave one of these to my wife for Christmas. I hope she lets me use it!

My wife gave me mine as a gift a year or so ago.

Returning to this thread. The answer is so simple and very, very cheap. I used one of those plastic sheet magnifiers, some are credit-card sized, better are the ones like oversized bookmarks. Magnification worked really well and best held a foot or more distance from the target, held at arms length so you are quite a long way from the critter, which might therefore stay put. At that distance two divers can look through one magnifier. I haven't tried one of the full-book-sized sheets. They must be awesome, like looking through a TV screen. Add virtually nothing to your baggage weight/bulk.

If you're on a budget, this won't break the bank. You can pick them up for free at some Libraries!

What was the cost and are they sold here in the U.S. Thanks

Did you click on the link? There is an option to "Order," and it lists the price. The guy ships them from the Netherlands. Mine arrived within a couple of weeks, if I recall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom