Magnifier Lenses for Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hydroknot

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I can't read my SPG or depth gauge because I'm far-sighted. Does anyone use the stick-on lenses? What results?

I've come across two brands:

Optx 20/20 Stick-On Bifocals ... $10 per pair
Dive Optx Magnifier Lenses ... $25 per pair

I see the term "optx" in both brands. I wonder if they are identical & made by the same company. Anyone use the cheaper brand?

Thanks.

I have been using them for a few months. Quite a pia to stick on, kind of have to keep pushing down over a day or 2 while it dries out. So far have remained in place, but every time I use the mask have to push lens down again to remove air from the edges. I think I will use them for a while untill, I am happy with the position and then get proper guage readers permanently stuck onto the mask by an optician. Mine are Hydroptix brand.

I have used these for years and never had a problem with them coming off the mask, dont use them now because i use a prescription mask as of 2 months ago.

They are essentially the same thing, made by the same company. The "dive" version are a touch larger.

I've hade mine in my Atomic mask for almost 200 dives with no problem.

I have tried dive-optix, they are a PITA and tend to fall out.
XS Scuba gauge readers leak after a while
I am now using a magnifier from Trident Scuba and I went to an optician and bought GS Hypo cement to install them. You can use crazy glue but it starts to get cloudy around the edged after a while. I tried to stick on the lens from my leaky gauge reader to another mask but the glass lens is slightly convex on the outside the glue won't adhere properly.
This is a big problem for me and I am sure many divers over 40years. Try the Trident lens I am really happy with mine. I bought spares just in case.

I use the XS scuba gauge reader mask and have been happy with it for several years now, no leaks for me. Yet.

I have been using a similar stickon, sold at Walgreens($10). Have been using it for years. Stuck it on with saliva. Has not moved. If you soak the mask, it might come out.

Sherwood recently added a mask with +1.75 on the bottom of the mask to their product line. I think the model is called Mag. Offers a bigger area magnified than the stickons. The prices are in the range for a typical mask.

I have used Prescription Dive Masks in the past. Their lenses were great, the lenses came free of the mask. I sent the mask back to Prescription Mask. It worked a few months more before leaking again. After the mask was replaced with my lenses, no issues. I hope they pay more attention to your mask than how they handled mine.

Hope this helps

knot,

I've had the same pair of DiveOptx for over three years now and have moved them around between three different masks. I now have one in my dive mask and one in my backup/lap swimming mask. Never had a problem with them coming out.

Back
Top Bottom