Magic filters, ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver 85

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I really enjoy using the filters. They make it very easy to capture good colors without a strobe. There are some limitations, of course depth is the first. Ideally you want the sun behind you with the Magic Filters. If it isn't very bright, you may have to set the ISO at 200 to 400. I've bought a Fuji F31fd, specifially for use with the filters.

My first time using them was in Fiji last year. I took an Olympus SP-310 with a filter and wide angle lens (no strobe). I also had a Nikonos V, 15mm lens & strobe. The Magic Filter photos turned out quite well, and it was easy to get keepers. However, the photos taken with the strobe have more punch. I have them divided into separate galleries:

Magic Filters http://www.pbase.com/krancer/fiji_2006_

Nikonos w/ strobe http://www.pbase.com/krancer/fiji_nikonos

Yes, they're awesome. Alot more color deep into your pictures that you can get with a strobe. without the hassel of a strobe.

Great for shallow diving wide angle photography with lots of light.
John

I have seen some samle stuff somwhere on the 'net using florescent filters. I have not been able to try it deep (camera death) but in the pool tests it worked well. I used Tiffen FL-B on the lens of a housed D-SLR; set white balance, and shot w/o strobe. In a second test, I used a point and shoot, held the filter in front, set white balance, and got good images while diving at the local aquarium.

Plus - decent color. Photoshop easily corrects if you do use a strobe with the filter in place. Minus - Getting enough light to handle any motion without way too much noise from high ISO. I want to try this with WA shots in shallow water where it should work best.

yep, very good for shallow ambient light WA photography. Not something for every dive but great for when you have a plan in place.

check out the galleries at www.magic-filters.com

Back
Top Bottom