Applying magic filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marty Bess

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What is the better way to apply a magic filter, on the camera lens or inside my housing, I have an Olympus LX-10 and the Ikelite housing? See link: Magic Filter

Thanks,
Marty

Do you use a strobe/flash while taking pictures?

When I've used the Magic Filter (both original and AUTO Magic Filter, designed for Point and Shoot cameras) I cut the "sheets" that come with a little round template.

You estimate the size of your compact front lens (when extended) and cut a circle to tape with scotch tape on your lens inside the housing. It works but you are tied to it the whole dive.

I believe they now make a hard filter in 67mm common thread size you could put on and off in the water. BUT.......this plan could be unusable if adding any wide angle accessory lens (read on.......)

My 67mm Magic Filter did NOT have extra threads on the front to stack a Wide Angle lens.

If they have threads now another problem is you have to put the lens on UNDERWATER to have water trapped between the filter and wide angle lens :(

These days I just use the UNDERWATER white balance choice on my Canon G7X II. I can bias for more RED in this white balance choice too. Sometimes just a custom white balance as I change depth works great too as I don't travel with strobes anymore.

If using a thread on wide angle lens I'd just tape the Magic filter inside on your camera and shoot away!

David Haas

IMG_1966.jpegIMG_2473.jpegIMG_2278.jpeg

You want loctite glass glue I think to stick the magic filter onto the inside of the housing.

When I've used the Magic Filter (both original and AUTO Magic Filter, designed for Point and Shoot cameras) I cut the "sheets" that come with a little round template.

You estimate the size of your compact front lens (when extended) and cut a circle to tape with scotch tape on your lens inside the housing. It works but you are tied to it the whole dive.

I believe they now make a hard filter in 67mm common thread size you could put on and off in the water. BUT.......this plan could be unusable if adding any wide angle accessory lens (read on.......)

My 67mm Magic Filter did NOT have extra threads on the front to stack a Wide Angle lens.

If they have threads now another problem is you have to put the lens on UNDERWATER to have water trapped between the filter and wide angle lens :(

These days I just use the UNDERWATER white balance choice on my Canon G7X II. I can bias for more RED in this white balance choice too. Sometimes just a custom white balance as I change depth works great too as I don't travel with strobes anymore.

If using a thread on wide angle lens I'd just tape the Magic filter inside on your camera and shoot away!

David Haas

View attachment 769365View attachment 769366View attachment 769367

I'm planning on shooting videos with a wide-angle dome lens so I think applying on my LX-10 lens will be the best option or just not add a filter period. It's the LX-10 so white balance should be easy plus I can fix it in post, thanks! - Marty

I'm planning on shooting videos with a wide-angle dome lens so I think applying on my LX-10 lens will be the best option or just not add a filter period. It's the LX-10 so white balance should be easy plus I can fix it in post, thanks! - Marty

I think You may want to see this Thread 'Panasonic Lumix LX10 test shot reel'

Back
Top Bottom