Magazine Articles Wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajcf

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We are starting a dive magazine and looking for some good writers with some good articles. It will be a quarterly print and electronic magazine. We are paying 10 cents per word and need about 15 more pages of content before March 1. If interested, please submit your articles to jflanders@usa.com. I'd like to keep each articles around 1000 words. Any pictures are a bonus. Will pay $25 for single purpose license for photos.

Also looking for a solid cover photo. Something Mexico-ish would be best. Also look for North Carolina Wrecks, Cozumel or Baja. If interested, send your picture and we can negotiate price. Leftover articles may be used in future mags.

Thanks,

John Flanders

Hi!

Just a thought, but it may be helpful to provide a little more information about your magazine, such as what is your intended audience (recreation diver, advanced diver, shipwreck diver, traveling diver, photography), what type of articles your looking for (gear review, wrecks, travel, etc.). This may help you get more articles related to what you would like to print.

Good luck with the new magazine!

Cheers.

Hi!

Just a thought, but it may be helpful to provide a little more information about your magazine, such as what is your intended audience (recreation diver, advanced diver, shipwreck diver, traveling diver, photography), what type of articles your looking for (gear review, wrecks, travel, etc.). This may help you get more articles related to what you would like to print.

Good luck with the new magazine!

Cheers.

Good luck, indeed!

Having done some work on the strategic end of the magazine publishing business I can assure you that the mere fact that the OP didn't KNOW to include that information in their post without being asked to provide it tells you an awful lot.

Good luck, indeed!.

You never know!

Hugh Heffner started out working on his kitchen table.

Of course- now- he's a confused drooling old man... surrounded by a lot of hot young girls. Hmm... I'd be confused and drooling, too.

I think a "Good Luck" is in order. Keep us informed of your progress!

You never know!

Hugh Heffner started out working on his kitchen table.

But that's the point! It didn't matter that he started out at the kitchen table. He had a very specific idea of who the audience was and what was supposed to be in the magazine in order to appeal to that audience.

Imagine if he said "I'm starting a magazine about women, and would like people to send me stories and pictures." A bit less focused, wouldn't you agree?

:D

The OP was broad for a purpose. I was looking for other people to contribute ideas that maybe I hadn't thought of. The intended audience is divers. While that may seem generalized, it certainly isn't as generalized as "women".

Currently have business relationship with over 6000 divers and their interests (dive related interests) are very diverse. Some are beginners; some are hard core. Some have been diving for years; some are brand new.

I was really just looking for articles and ideas. Any constructive feedback is certainly appreciated.

...divers and their interests (dive related interests) are very diverse. Some are beginners; some are hard core. Some have been diving for years; some are brand new.

Right, which is why "the same magazine" will likely not appeal to all of them. Trying to be broad to reach a diverse audience is a BAD thing in magazine publishing. Magazines are a "one-on-one" medium, so the more targeted you can be in terms of editorial content the better. Yes, it makes your potential audience smaller. But wouldn't it be better to have a magazine that appeals to HALF the people in your audience rather than one that doesn't really appeal to any of them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom