mag lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steve young:
hi all has anyone ever used dive optx magnifier lenses in there masks
do they work or is there some thing better on the market .

I've never found the need to magnify anything underwater and really don't see their value. If you wear Rx glasses, then many Rx lenses are available for many makes of mask at quite reasonable prices. (my regular glasses should cost so little).

steve young:
hi all has anyone ever used dive optx magnifier lenses in there masks
do they work or is there some thing better on the market .

never seemed to be able to keep them in place when wet.

cdiver2:
never seemed to be able to keep them in place when wet.

I could never get them to stay put in my mask, period. So I went to contacts. And when I got to the bifocal...*cough cough* ... um.. stage... well, then I switched to a prescription mask.

BTW, some mfgs (like Seavision) make what they call a "gaugereader" mask that has magnifying lenses at the bottom, while the rest of the lens is non-prescription.

I wear bifocals/reading glasses, and have been using the dive optix lenses for about three years. They work for me, and will stay put as long as you install them 24 hours before diving. I had one come loose (and lost it) switching masks between dives.

I got some of the Optix lenses because I see just perfectly, anything that is just beyond my arm's length. Under that, it is very hard to make it out. I put them in both sides of my mask and felt a little claustrophobic the next few dives. I took one out of one side and that was better but then the lense I bought was not strong enough. I put both lenses on the same mask, on top of each other. It worked great until the top lense rinsed out during a clear. I did not realize it till it was too late.

I do plan to buy another pair of stronger strength. Use one at a time (keep other one for a spare). As long as I use only one, it has adhered the whole time. I put it on as instructed and actually did not dive for about a month later. It had plenty of time to dry on.

I have bi-focals, and I tried the DiveOptix for a while, in my perscription mask at the time. It was one with standard perscription lens, not a custom. The DiveOptix were OK. I also wound up using only in one eye, and yes, I was able to read my gauges, and see the little critters. I never had a problem with them coming off. Follow the directions excatly. I still use them, but in my backup mask only. My new mask is a full bi-focal perscription - much better long term solution, but much more expensive.

I have a Seavision with the guage reader. I love it, but like so many masks, it leaves deep rings on my face-post dive.
I bought a mask that advertises that it leaves no ring. I bought it and it really doen't leave a ring. I tried the dive-optyx and on two concurrent trips, one slipped. It takes forever for the mask to dry enough to re-stick. Aggravating! I would like to see if anyone could grind the +150 on the mask lenses. I hate the glue-ons.

I figured that I need to do LASIK before I end up with bifocal masks! Going to do it really soon!

Back
Top Bottom