Madison Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't forgotten everyone, I am still trying to compile all the info into one easy to write post.

OK, I have most of the info compiled. They will work with making sure the divers have access to the quarry where feasible.

I spoke to the WB last week, and the tests went well for them, they got approval from ADEM to proceed with designing a pump system for the quarry, but they have to have ADEM review the plans before implementation. They told me the pump system is based on a budget and they will be trying to get it designed without going over the budget as that would make it a financial burden. They hope to have the system installed by next spring or summer.

The pump system would have to be protected, ie. fencing above and below the water line, etc. and the costs of the security would have to be recouped from the rent, which means the rent will go up. If the system gets damaged or messed with by anyone, the quarry would be closed to the public. The costs for designing the security system around the divers needs will also have to be included in the increased rental amount.

Divers will not be allowed on the property when they system is active. From April to June, the quarry could operate without restrictions, but from July through October, we will have to contact the WB 72 hours in advance of opening to verify that we can use the quarry. The need for the water will be based on the demands of the City of Madison. The WB will not drain the water below the current level which is 20' shallower than it was when we closed per ADEM. The water level is currently about a foot above the platforms which were at 20'-23'.

I asked them about how long the restrictions would be in place or if they would cease use of the quarry when the line to the Tennessee River is installed, and was told that if the WB is investing in the use of the quarry for storage, they intend to use it indefinitely and the restrictions would be in place even after the line is active. They intend to use the quarry as a storage facility in the event of a drought to store well water. I was told that with the quarry as an active water storage facility, they could shut down some of the wells that are not producing as much water, eg. 200 GPM wells could be shut down and the well water from other wells used to refill the quarry during off peak seasons. They intend to refill the quarry in February or March each year.

Brit, that will be hard for you to operate in July, August, or Sep. If they make you pay a monthly fee and you do not know if you are going to be open or not. That is going to be tough.

So what's the plan for 2011? It's almost April. :D

David

Im waiting on the WB to get some information in, I should hear something by the middle of next week. I will post the info here and to our mailing list as soon as I get it.

Hey don't forget us on the NNDC and our special page on FB , Jeez we will keep ya busy just telling everyone... Hey, If you post it on ScubaBoard..I should get an email reminder...then I will try to post it...Rick if I don't see it, and you see it...will you make sure I get it posted to take some burden off Britt? :blinking:

Praying for good news!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom