Madison Blue 8-2-09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tasdiver

Muffin Meg Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Today finds Tim (netmage) and I at Madison Blue. This is another system that I have not dived before. The basin is incredibly blue, duh. While discussing the dive plan Tim informs me of the #1 hazard, having a 10 year old jump from the platform at 15 feet above the basin and possibly landing on me. I will have to be careful on ascent from our safety stop. Just then we see Rich Blackburn run like a giddy schoolgirl over in his full wetsuit pull off a spectacular belly flop. We enter the cave through the main entrance. There is another entrance that bypasses a lot of the distance of the cavern area along the main line called the Rabbit Hole. This is a flow system so the push through the Rabbit Hole is some work. We are saving that for next time. Tim is running the reel again as this is a new system for me, and we travel along the mainline. In almost no time, we make it to the Half Hitch restriction. Tim signals me to turn, not thumb, and just turn. I have a ton of gas left but I follow his signal. We get to the Banana Room jump and tie in a spool, we get into the tunnel maybe 10 feet and Tim signals turn again, he didn’t like what he was seeing. So we go back and pull up the spool and do a nice slow exit. We get back to our reel and Tim asks how much gas I have. A TON!! (2000psi) So I recalculate, and this time I lead in back into the system, back to the Half Hitch restriction. I turned the dive when my computer started inching down the NDL and we head back to the entrance. We stop at the Godzilla Room jump and tie in a spool, we follow that through the Banana Room as its gets nice and low and dusty. Again, Tim doesn’t like how it looks through the tight area leading to the Monkey Room. Tim takes a look at the tunnel and signals turn. The flow pushes us out, and we come back to the cavern area and I get to explore. This system has a very wide and interesting cavern zone. We tied a spool in and explored a bit over around the Rabbit Hole entrance. Very cool, can’t wait to do that next time. We exit and spend lots of time hanging out at the platform at 20 feet that divers use for open water training. We ascend to the ooohhhs and ahhhhs of lots of kids wondering where we came from and “did you go into that hole???” Another GREAT day of cave diving!! Vis 60+, Mix 33%, Temp 69 degrees, Max Depth 73 feet, Bottom Time 111 minutes.

Viz is getting better. I was there week before and had a great dive and prob 35-45 ft viz. Lots of sand was still in there from the flooding. That is a great cave. Great report.

Beautiful cave for sure. The horseshoe shaped cavern is unique and has a large air pocket on the ceiling. Next to the rabbit hole is a tunnel that goes under the others. Havent been too far down it yet.[crossunder]. Lots of swimmers this time of year for sure.

Beautiful cave for sure. The horseshoe shaped cavern is unique and has a large air pocket on the ceiling. Next to the rabbit hole is a tunnel that goes under the others. Havent been too far down it yet.[crossunder]. Lots of swimmers this time of year for sure.

Hmmm stairman, didn't know about air pocket . . . my first dive in this system. Would love to push a tunnel just for fun, don't care if it goes or not :)

Yeah, I'm new . . . forgive :)

Viz is getting better. I was there week before and had a great dive and prob 35-45 ft viz. Lots of sand was still in there from the flooding. That is a great cave. Great report.

Thanks Kev, yeah the viz is really gettiing awesome :) Still lots of sand from the flood, but from what I'm hearing, we need divers to go thru to push (re: silt) it out a bit to clear it up :) for others :) I'm up for the job !! Will be back the weekend of 8/15-16

Yep just need more divers. Like little river and the dark walls. I want to see that system when the walls are not stained. I do like how they only let so many teams in there at one time. I hope to be back there in the next few weeks. I am close to the mill pond and dive there often. I need to take the exta 2 hours and go to madison more.

Thanks Kev, yeah the viz is really gettiing awesome :) Still lots of sand from the flood, but from what I'm hearing, we need divers to go thru to push (re: silt) it out a bit to clear it up :) for others :) I'm up for the job !! Will be back the weekend of 8/15-16

Kevin, if you (or anyone else) ever feel like carpooling from Marianna (or Alabama), I'd absolutely love to dive Madison again! There was just something magical about that dive...

Get over your cold and we will work on it.

Kevin, if you (or anyone else) ever feel like carpooling from Marianna (or Alabama), I'd absolutely love to dive Madison again! There was just something magical about that dive...

Yep just need more divers. Like little river and the dark walls. I want to see that system when the walls are not stained. I do like how they only let so many teams in there at one time. I hope to be back there in the next few weeks. I am close to the mill pond and dive there often. I need to take the exta 2 hours and go to madison more.

The stained walls are there natural state, they only get light after a bunch of divers bounce off them :/ The flooding helps "heal" the caves after careless divers scar them up.

The stained walls are there natural state, they only get light after a bunch of divers bounce off them :/ The flooding helps "heal" the caves after careless divers scar them up.

Agree. I am enjoying the caves with postflooding tannic staining. Divers swimming through will help clean out the sediment from the flood,but it is fun right now to see some of these caves when I remembered they had silt.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom