Madeira Beach, Fl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

or if the lubricating oil in a malfunctioning compressor becomes hot enough to partially combust, producing carbon monoxide.
Yep, that being the most common source. Of the compressor owners I have talked to on trips, many did not realize that. If business is good and the compressors are busy, tough beans.

carbon monoxide poisoning can cause seizures, loss of consciousness, or coma. Diagnosis is with a blood test. As time passes, the results become less accurate, so the test should be done as soon as possible.
And the big point is if you feel symptoms and want to ascend, that lowers the PPO2 while the CO bound to your blood stays, multiplying the effect. Ascending makes it worse, but what else can you do?

And you can expect a blood test to take a lot of time to get, if the local labs even have the capabilities.
The diver’s air supply can also be tested for carbon monoxide.
They usually drain suspected tanks quickly to destroy evidence. Finding a tank tester can be difficult. Visiting divers like me might have one, but they wouldn't go for that.

And the big point is if you feel symptoms and want to ascend, that lowers the PPO2 while the CO bound to your blood stays, multiplying the effect. Ascending makes it worse, but what else can you do said Dan T
Some boats I have been on have o2 regs suspended at 20 feet. Get on that and stay till your heart rate îs at least below 100 and ideally close to your normal heart rate. Co will almost always give you a tachycardia (fast heart rate)

Last edited:
Some boats I have been on have o2 regs suspended at 20 feet. Get on that and stay till your heart rate îs at least below 100 and ideally close to your normal heart rate. Co will almost always give you a tachycardia (fast heart rate)
It takes a LONG time to wash CO out of your system.

"The half-life in a normal atmosphere is 3 to 4 hours. 100% oxygen reduces this to 30-90 minutes and 100% oxygen at hyperbaric pressure of 2.5 atmospheres reduces it to 15-23 minutes."

For those that test for CO, what level of CO would you accept (ppm)?
This is my history and my opinion only for what I'm willing to accept. It's your tank to breathe, you decide the limits.

I'm a commercial harvester. In the last 5 year's I've dove just over 650 tanks and tested every single one of them or I don't dive it. I've had 5+ of those tanks read higher than 15ppm and the dive plan was for greater than 100ft deep at 40 minutes as that is our normal profile for a 1st dive. Each of those tanks would have probably killed me and I most likely would not have noticed the symptoms because I'm a spearo and breathing 3 times as hard to harvest a catch down deep.

I test every tank before I leave the any shop/ board a vacation boat. I'm willing to accept 2ppm's. I'll dump the tank at 3ppm's. I'll also caution that any CO meter is extremely sensitive to temperature and you must get it stable a full 20 minutes before a reading. It' the sensor, not the unit that needs to compensate for heat. I've had it in a drybag and my florida car in the summer and need to let it get back down to a neutralized a temperature or it will be off.

It's like a seatbelt, Use it every time you d(r)ive !!

.....100% oxygen at hyperbaric pressure of 2.5 atmospheres reduces it to 15-23 minutes."

15-23 minutes with the brain and heart receiving little to no O2 molecules from the blocked hemoglobin. That's why CO is the silent killer.

She was snorkeling, he was diving.

I have not found a single online news items that says that. What is your source?

All I found was the same statement of paraphrased versions of it: "The Sheriff's Office marine unit is investigating, but deputies believe the emergency was related to diving. Both of the Gambas were wearing wet suits, and diving equipment was found on their boat."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom