Madeira Beach, Fl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johnoly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Couple suffers life-threatening injuries while diving off Madeira Beach

A married Madeira Beach couple sustained life-threatening injuries Saturday afternoon that investigators believe occurred while diving 5 miles off Madeira Beach.

Blaise Gamba, 37, was unconscious when her husband, William Gamba, 37, alerted another boater, Roger Olson, 57, to his wife's medical emergency.

When he reached Olson's boat, William Gamba performed CPR on his wife as authorities were called on the radio.

Shortly after, the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office marine unit located the boat, which had driven to about a half mile west of John's Pass. At that point, William Gamba fell unconscious, too.

Authorities transported the Gambas to Palms of Pasadena Hospital, where they were being treated for life-threatening injuries Saturday evening.

The Sheriff's Office marine unit is investigating, but deputies believe the emergency was related to diving. Both of the Gambas were wearing wet suits, and diving equipment was found on their boat.

I hope we get some more answers to this. 5 miles off the beach is likely a max depth of 20-30 feet. I dont want to speculate too much, but if no other explanations are given regarding their injuries, I hope authorities test their gas. A little too close to home.

Sadly Blaise Gamba passed away. She was an attorney at the very large, nation-wide legal firm of Carlton Fields.
Cuzza, I'm in 100% agreement with your post.

She did not make it: Injured diver dies after accident off Madeira Beach
I hope we get some more answers to this. 5 miles off the beach is likely a max depth of 20-30 feet. I dont want to speculate too much, but if no other explanations are given regarding their injuries, I hope authorities test their gas. A little too close to home.
She was unconscious and he passed out later? Got to wonder what else could cause that? I wish the agencies would stress the importance of testing every tank, but that would be bad for their business, so most divers don't.

She did not make it: Injured diver dies after accident off Madeira Beach

She was unconscious and he passed out later? Got to wonder what else could cause that? I wish the agencies would stress the importance of testing every tank, but that would be bad for their business, so most divers don't.

The only other thing I can think of is they were actually diving much deeper and further from shore, without a radio, and they found the Good Samaritan boater 5 miles off the beach. Otherwise it's impossible for them to both be bent at those depths. Not to mention I've heard nothing about a chamber so clearly our first suspicion is at the top of the list.

It's imperative that their gas be tested and if it's bad a public safety announcement has to be made regarding the source to warn other divers.

without a radio
I can't imagine going to sea without a PLB or similar, but I know many do. The Recuseme is on sale now for $169 after rebate, comes with a 7 year standby battery, fits in a shirt pocket. Ocean Signal RescueME PLB1 CHEAP...!! I never leave home without my PLB, nor venture far from my car without it.

The only other thing I can think of is they were actually diving much deeper and further from shore, without a radio.

In that area I can still get some cell coverage 10 miles out or farther.
But BOTH divers go unconscious, no way! Like you related, Lawrence Factor Labs will have a significant input on this. We'll see what the M.E.'s report says in ~8 weeks.

I test every single tank for CO or I don't dive it.

I test every single tank for CO or I don't dive it.

I don't, but it's a piece of gear that's been on my "to get" list. I take a little more comfort in knowing that my shop is geared toward deep technical, CCR, cave diving, and that is what they do and I've asked them about their maintenance logs and procedure, but I'm still diving blind.

What are you guys using? In the limited research I've done the CooTwo seems like a great option since it tests both CO and O2. I'm diving tomorrow and of course in the back of my head I'll be wondering...

I don't, but it's a piece of gear that's been on my "to get" list. I take a little more comfort in knowing that my shop is geared toward deep technical, CCR, cave diving, and that is what they do and I've asked them about their maintenance logs and procedure, but I'm still diving blind.

What are you guys using? In the limited research I've done the CooTwo seems like a great option since it tests both CO and O2. I'm diving tomorrow and of course in the back of my head I'll be wondering...
I joined a cave diver forum once to learn more about a CO related death and was amazed to learn that few of them bothered to test either. I have the Analox, the Sensorcon, and the CooTwo CO testers - all great, but the CooTwo seems best. So easy to use.

We do not know that CO was involved in their accident, but if a tank is not tested - it's a guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom