Made my drysuit gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justin-branam

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
here are pics of my drysuit gloves i made tonight. all it took was a 4in diameter pvc pipe cut into 2 1 inch sections, and a pair of oil resistant, thick, rubber gloves. i bought the gloves and the pvc at my local hardware store. i cut the pieces of pvc pipe (2 inch long pieces), and stretched the gloves over them. i then stretched my wrist seals over the pvc (already covered by the gloves). this worked better then doing the gloves over the suit, because the wrist seals put more pressure onto the gloves, holding it more securely.

DSC00855.JPG

DSC00854.JPG

Hi Justin... very enterprising!
One thing that stands out to me however is that the latex wrist seal stretched over the PVC pipe and exposed as it is will be very vunerable to puncture and/or tearing should you bump it against anything remotely sharp. A possible solution would be to cut some *rubber bands* out of wheelbarrow tire innertube and place that as a protective cover over the exposed seal. I use Diving Concept rings and even then I use innertubing over any exposed seal parts.

I agree. Putting the gloves over the seals is generally a better idea but if that is not possible you need to protect them. 1/8 inch neoprene also works and you can cut the protective rings out of the arms or legs of an old wet suit if you can find one.

You also want to make sure you have rounded and smoothed the edges of the PVC rings to prevent any sharp edges from eating the seals from the inside.

Back
Top Bottom